Being a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.
             While applying to college my senior year of high school, I was stuck between 
two very different schools. I was being pulled in opposite directions by each of the 
schools’ attractions—one for its sense of community on campus and the other for 
the thriving city in which it was located. I thought that one would be the classic 
liberal arts school experience including dinner at professors’ houses and late-night 
hangouts, and the other a more typical big school experience complete with Greek 
life and school spirit. I had to decide: Which of these aspects would I appreciate 
more in my college experience? 
              I opted for the excitement of the urban university. Why would I pass up what 
most people would consider the stereotypically ideal college experience? Yet, when 
I actually got there, something felt off. Of course I was having a blast going out very 
frequently, being a member of a sorority, and exploring a unique city, but I still felt 
that something was missing. I decided to apply to transfer for the next year—not 
thinking I would actually go through with it. 
             When I got into Hamilton, I still felt conflicted because I couldn’t imagine 
leaving the great group of friends I had made during my first year. I ultimately 
decided, however, that the small liberal arts education might be a better fit for me 
and that my wonderful friendships would survive the separation. 
            Hamilton has definitely been a culture shock. I miss being able to go off into a 
city with countless restaurants, bars, and live music, and of course it’s hard to come 
back as a sophomore and not know anyone—I have definitely been mistaken for a 
freshmen too many times. But coming in with other transfers who are going through 
a similar experience creates an incredible bond and has made the transition a lot 
easier. I also have been pleased to find that many returning students are open to 
and excited about making new friends. Yes, I’ve had a couple negative experiences 
in which I put myself out there and did not receive the warmest reception, but I’ve 
learned an important lesson from this—you can’t let the rare unfriendly people 
taint your view of the entire student body. By going out and joining clubs I wouldn’t 
normally join, I’ve met some really interesting and caring people. 
           Every college has its strengths and faults, which vary for each individual. The 
key is to find the place, not that is most obviously desirable, but that is most attuned 
to your particular desires. Even if your perception of a school does not align with 
the majority of other students’ perceptions, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 
making a change! Just as it takes a while for freshman to find their place, with time 
and perseverance, transfers should be able to find theirs.
Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.