6 Ways to Cheer Yourself Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

The weather’s been grey and cold and wet and it seems like classes have been overwhelming for everyone. It’s easy to get caught up in stress and it can be pretty much impossible to avoid, but if you’ve been feeling down, here are some pick-me-ups that might help just a little:

1. Watch a movie from your childhood:

Get your nostalgia on and curl up in bed if you want some alone time, or in your common room if you want company, and watch a Disney movie or another old favorite. As long as you don’t have anything too pressing the next day, your school work can wait for an hour and a half while you bask in the comfort of The Lion King or The Wizard of Oz.  

2. Download a Chrome extension:

If you use Google Chrome, go to chrome://extensions and search for Tabby Cat. Every time you open a new tab, a different cat animation will appear, with names like Scandalous Cookie or Dancing Princess. Every once in a while, they’ll bring new items like apparel or toys. It’s a very cute and simple way to inject some happiness into your day-to-day activities. If you don’t use chrome or if cats aren’t your thing, search for some other extensions that might not be technically necessary but are certainly delightful!

3. Call home:

Sometimes when there’s a lot going on at school, we forget to keep in touch with family and friends who aren’t on campus. It might be helpful to call for advice, or it might be even better to just have a relaxing chat and hear the voice of someone you love. Maybe you can even send some love to your pets!

4. Enjoy nature:

Yes, it’s getting cold. I hate it too. But before it gets too chilly, take advantage of the beauty around us and take a walk in the glen or even just an aimless stroll around campus. Listen to whatever music puts you in a good mood, dress in enough layers to keep you warm, and try to get your mind off things while you appreciate some of the gorgeous fall leaves. Once it gets colder, try to find things to enjoy even if you’re not a fan of winter (if you are, even better!) Get some great pictures of the first few snows while it’s still untouched, or catch snowflakes on your tongue.

5. Explore new music:

Your usual favorites will probably do a good job of cheering you up too, but if you have the time, look for some new favorites to add to the collection. You might get new ideas or simply feel reenergized by something unfamiliar but just as good. Look through the “browse” tab on Spotify, click on the recommended videos on YouTube that you normally ignore, or search the internet for certain types of playlists. Go in a completely different direction genre-wise, or stick to preferred genres while just branching out a little to new artists.

6. Take a study break on Pinterest or Tumblr:

Whether or not you already use them too much, and despite their time-sucking flaws, sites like these can actually be great if you use them right. If you’re not super familiar with them, make an account on one or both and just see what they have to offer. If you’re plenty familiar already, try looking at totally new blogs or boards – instead of staying in a rut of what your dashboard or feed is already full of, specifically search out calming content like cute animals or inspirational quotes, or investigate something you’re interested in, like a new hobby or artist.

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.