5 Things to Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

5 Things to Do This Summer

Finals are coming up (or maybe they’re already over!) and you’re probably ready to finish up the school year and get home for the summer. Unless you’re about to graduate, in which case I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your life, you need some things to fill the few months you have off before starting the next semester. If you’re at all like me, you may not have made many or any concrete plans yet and you’re now left wondering what to do. Here are some suggestions for a fun and productive summer:

1. Get a job

True, you probably want  to relax this summer after a year of working hard, but there’s no reason you can’t work a little too. It never hurts to make some extra money, either to spend over the summer or next year at school, or to save for the future – or ideally, some of each. It’s also beneficial to add to your resume.

2. Participate in an internship

It might be a little late in the year to start applying for most internships, but you can always try, or think about doing it next year. Internships are another great way to enhance your resume, and if you’re lucky enough to find a really good one in the field you’re hoping to go into, you’ll get an awesome experience and maybe even make some useful contacts for the future. Look for one within reasonable commuting distance from where you’ll be staying for the summer, or rent an apartment in a city with a friend for more exciting and valuable experiences.

3. Travel

This is pretty dependent on your family’s plans and your financial situation, but even if you can’t afford a long luxury vacation, you can probably find cheaper and shorter excursions. Help your parents plan a family vacation and if there’s somewhere you’ve always wanted to go, suggest it! You can also travel with friends – see if anyone’s up for a road trip, a weekend at the beach, a tour of a nearby city, or something adventurous in the wilderness if that’s more your style. Check out this list of national parks that make awesome destinations: http://www.hercampus.com/school/hamilton/10-amazing-international-parks-put-your-bucket-list  

4. Catch up with friends and family

You’ve been away from home for months, and whether you’ve had the chance to take many trips back home and to other schools, or you’ve pretty much had to stay on campus most of the time, you must miss loves ones from before college, and they miss you too. Depending on whether you’re more of a homebody or more social, you may be tempted to spend either most of your time at your house or out with friends, but try to strike a balance. Make sure to check in with the people you haven’t been in contact with as much, and if you have younger kids in your family, prioritize being a part of their childhoods.

5. Prepare for the coming semester

I know, I know. We have summer for a reason – to not have to think about school – but it’s still a good idea to spend some time thinking about what’s waiting for you in the fall. Are you going abroad? Make sure any travel paperwork is sorted, brush up on local language and customs, and get shopping and packing lists ready. Are you transferring to a new school? Reach out on social media to current students and other incoming students, and start thinking about what types of organizations you might want to join. If you haven’t declared a major yet, you probably need to soon, so keep thinking about what you enjoy.