5 of the Best Study Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Now that we’re about one month into the semester, I’m sure we’re all neck-deep in work. The other day I received an email from my Econ professor with the subject line “impending midterm.” That was pretty frightening.

With all these assignments to complete and all this studying to do, it can get pretty boring always working in the same place. While working in your room might be comfortable and convenient, it’s probably getting pretty old at this point. Plus, it’s all too easy to fall asleep or to switch to watching Netflix with your roommate. Luckily, there are plenty of places on campus that are great for getting stuff done. Here are some of the best:

1. Taylor Science Center: Whether or not you’re taking a class in SCCT, it’s perfect for studying, either alone or with friends. The atrium is nice and bright, and it’s nice to have some chatter around you without things getting too loud. And Opus 2 is right there in case you need a pick me up. One of my personal favorite places to study is any of the study rooms in the back of SCCT. Isolated but still open, and like the atrium, suited for both groups and individuals. There are even chalk boards to help you study, or to play hangman when everyone needs a break. Don’t forget about the other random spots to study in the Science Center – the little areas overlooking the atrium, the tables near the stairs or in the basement, or the spots outfitted with couches, chairs, and/or tables that are scattered throughout the hallways.
  2. The library: Often filled with light-siders, the library is equipped for many levels of concentration, and comes with computers (and, obviously, books). Settle in on the first floor if you want to work with a group, or if you’re solo but want a little bit of (usually non-distracting) noise around you. If you need a little more focus, pick a table or comfy chair on the second floor. And if you really need to buckle down, the study carrels on the third floor offer the seclusion and austerity you need. And for those dreaded times when you’re working into the early hours of the morning, the all-night reading room is always available.
  3. KJ: It offers a similar experience to the Science Center, except it’s on the dark side. Listen to the water feature and fellow students babbling in the atrium, battle others for a free study room, or pick a couch, chair, or table. At night, if it’s not in use, even the Red Pit can be an interesting place to work with others.
  4. Beinecke: The Fireplace Lounge was one of my favorite places to study last year. The lighting isn’t great and the cushy seating and low table aren’t suited for every type of work, but it’s a very chill place to work on an essay, especially with friends. Other places to work in Beinecke include the mini conference room right across from the diner, the weird long room full of rocking chairs above the lounge, or the study area in the balcony over the connection between the barn and the annex.
  5. Sadove: In a nice central location, the student center has a bunch of places to work. Sit by Euphoria with an energizing smoothie, in the adjoining room full of comfy furniture, or in the Sun Porch so you can watch people walk by on Martin’s Way. The second floor has a printer and a few computers. The third floor has multiple areas designed for solo or group work.

As a closing note, don’t forget that while it’s your job to study hard and get your assignments done, there are plenty of resources on campus to help you do well. Most professors are really helpful and welcoming if you visit their office hours or make an appointment. Check if the TA for your class offers regular study or review sessions. Visit the Writing Center in KJ for help revising papers, the Oral Communications Center (also in KJ) for guidance in putting together or resigning a presentation, or the QSR Center in CJ for assistance with your math or science classes. The Library can give you advice about doing research and find materials for you. Good luck! 

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.