This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Seth Gold

Major: Public Health

Year: 2016 

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Campus Involvement: Relay for Life, Officer of the Club Cross country Team, Program board

Tell me a bit about Relay for Life? 

“It is a campus unifying event that benefits the American Cancer society. It takes place overnight to represent the fact that cancer never sleeps so neither do we. The ‘Relay’ comes from walking in teams who spend time raising money for the American Cancer Society.” This year, Relay for Life takes place March 28th in the Smith Center 7 pm to 7 am. It is the only philanthropy event on campus that includes EVERYONE. ANYONE can be a part of relay, it’s a part of the program board- which plans events for everyone on campus for example, fall fest and spring fling.”

What is the event like at GW?

“Smith Center, March 28th. I vision it as packed full of GW students who are excited about it. There are games, activities, and prizes. Half way through the night, we have a luminaria ceremony which displays why we relay and who we relay for. It can unite students from all years, social groups, and activities.”

Why Relay for Life?

“I can look at that in 2 ways. Relay at GW and Relay in General. As I mentioned before, at GW, Relay for life is a unifying event. It is said that  1 out of 3 people will have cancer, so even though you may not face it, you will most likely know someone who does. We may very well find a cure if we rally against it”

Do you have a goal for this year? 

We would like to raise $80,000 dollars. There are 10,000 students at GW, if each person raises $10.00 then we can raise 100,000 for The American cancer society. I LOVE starbucks, but it’s like everyone buying 2 drinks from Starbucks” 

Any upcoming fundraisers?

We  actually just raised 400$ through a chipotle fundraiser- We have another one at Sweet Green on Feb 18 7-8:30 pm. Also coming up we have ‘fit to fight cancer’ where  we will have $5 fitness classes and all proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. Kickboxing, yoga, pilates, Zumba for a good cause.”

What/ who is your inspiration?

“I actually never had an answer to that until this week . I was in a job interview and  Ken Cole from Pfizer said “I got to where I am because I saw someone and I liked what they were doing, and I tried to it better than them.” Be bold, tell people you want to do what they are doing. Don’t be afraid to be bold. Find yourself a role model and then be better than them.”

What’s your favorite moment at GW?

“The inauguration last year. I had a great day. I applied to get tickets from my congressman, and was put on a waitlist, I ended up getting them last minute. My roommate Nikki and I got up at 4:30 am to make sure we had a good spot. I got to see Obama waving through the car window. The inaugural ball that evening was also amazing. From start to finish, it was a great day.”

How can GW get involved:

You can sign up as an individual or as a team, we encourage for at least one person to be walking at all times. 

www.relayforlife.org/gwudc

GWU Class of 2016
Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.