This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Keeping up with the Joneses can ultimately be hurting your wallets, but even then everyone has their own styles or, if you’re like me, is still trying to compose their own styled wardrobe. I have gone through endless experiences with suggestion blogs, online shopping, even the physical mall shopping. It was not until recently that I decided to try the online stylist route. However, due to the expenses, my experiment only got to testing three stylist websites. It would have been nice to find a good stylist personal that wouldn’t cost me too much, but I am beginning to use what I picked up on in my own shopping.

Here are the three online websites I’ve tested and my take-away notes:

(Photo courtesy of: Stitch Fix)

1. Stitch Fix

Begins with 30-odd questions in the style quiz and then your stylist will determine your first five-item box. There is also a $20 fee, which is later credited to your purchase as a discount. However, you wait one to two weeks for your box for only five items, and the pricing of your items are high. My first box totaled out to be $202 and that was with the discounts they provided. You would be looking at $50-250, although it is worth noting that although you get a $20 credit. Your purchase will only receive the 25% discount if **you purchase all five items.** Cute box design and a few great clothing pieces, but definitely leaving this stylist website in the back for now. No charge for returning the items, except that you lost the $20 fee.

*Note: I searched for the prices of the items I had wanted to keep and came across a website called ShopStyle, they have an app too. Not a personal stylist, but definitely items within my price range.

(Photo courtesy of: Stylit)

1. Stylit –

You take your style quiz and begin building your profile, which is first general combinations of styles like “work” or “casual” or “going-out.” This website is more lenient on choosing items before shipping the items to you, but what is great about this website is the specific questions they ask to better suit your style. Stylit sends stylist recommendations of wardrobes suited to what you specified, which helps the process become much easier. Although prices do range roughly from $50-$200, the clothing items suggested are linked to their separate store’s webpage. The website is very direct and the stylists send you suggestions every Thursday. I am definitely keeping this stylist website on hand.

*Note: Sometimes it’s worth checking on the items listed with an outfit on Stylit because the store may have it on discount, which doesn’t show on the Stylit website.

(Photo courtesy of: Trunk Club.com)

1. Trunk club –

This website when I first saw it was advertised towards men, but it wasn’t until I saw the women’s option that I went snooping. Like every other website, you complete you style quiz and within the following day a personal stylist will contact you with further questions. The conversation with the stylist was very helpful to determine what she was going to place in the trunk. The service was fast and the items in the trunk were marvelous. However, the prices were not so marvelous. I had known beforehand that some of the items cost around $90 individually. No charge for returning the items. Overall a cute trunk and beautiful choices, but definitely leave this stylist website in the back for now.

*Note: Speaking to a stylist allowed me to figure out what specific questions I need to be asking myself when I go shopping. Material? Color Scheme? It really comes down to that there are pieces that will mix with your entire wardrobe, but there are many items that are just there for specific occasions.

If I learned anything with these websites, it is that the expenses will get you! Overall, it was a fun experience to speak with stylists and try on some really clothes. I wonder what my clothing options will be now when I go shopping next…