How to Dress for the Snow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Let’s face it: when the days are shorter, the nights are longer, and the temperatures drop to single digits, it’s easy to fall into the winter slump of simply slipping on some yoga pants and a puffer jacket. Lo and behold, it is possible to stay warm and still look stylish in the winter; it’s just a matter of knowing the right tricks to always looking fabulous and put together.

Pile It On 

One of the reasons everyone goes to their favorite hoodie during the wintertime is that it’s warm and super comfortable. In order to avoid the I-may-or-may-not-have-just-rolled-out-of-bed look, slip on some of your favorite layers to automatically give you the warmth you love, while getting the look you want.

Wrap It Up

An oversized scarf can do no wrong in low temps–it’s like a blanket you can shamelessly wrap around yourself wherever you go! Scarves are the perfect accessory for winter/snow days because they’re the perfect solution for that brutal breeze that hits every now and then when it gets chilly. Plus, they just tie every outfit together.

Less Is More, But More is Better

Even though they aren’t always given that much credit, turtlenecks have always done their part in times of heat deficiency. The classic knit sweater goes a long way, but adding on that extra bit of fabric up top can make anyone look more polished and edgy.

Finishing Touch

The best outfits can stand alone, but in the winter, warm, yet stylish jackets are a complete necessity. Even though wearing all black is usually the way to go during colder times, it doesn’t hurt to experiment trying out a new color palette, like one that consists of neutrals. Colors like nude, beige, and peach can still look chic, but also add a nice change to the darks that people will most likely be wearing. So, go forth. Be bold, but also stay nice and cozy.