Halloween Costumes: How much is too much…Or too little?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As girls we all know the dichotomy that comes with picking out your Halloween costume: how much skin should you show? Personally, I’m not a huge fan of using the term “slut” as a derogatory word; if you want to dress in revealing clothes and release your sexual inhibitions—all the power to you—but every year when Halloween rolls around girls are constantly judged on the costumes they choose to wear. Will you go as a sexy nurse, sexy pirate, or sexy school girl? You can’t escape the sex-fueled connotations aligned with the holiday that is supposed to be all about spookiness and candy. As a girl who is experiencing Halloween in college for the first time, I’ve been struggling with finding a costume that I will be happy with, but will also not set me too far apart from the hordes of other girls.

So the advice I have to give: wear whatever you want. Let’s all reflect on a classic movie of our generation—Mean Girls—you can dress up as a sexy animal in tight, revealing clothing, and little ears like the Plastics, or you can wear a full bride of Frankenstein costume like Cady. Either way, make sure you are representing whoever you are with the costume. Halloween is supposed to be fun, so wear whatever you want!

Most importantly, don’t let others judge you for the costume you choose to wear. If your costume is revealing, rock that outfit—it doesn’t matter what other people are saying about it. If your costume is a little more conservative, don’t be concerned with what other people may think about it. As girls we are constantly judged on our looks, our outfits, and our attitudes; for Halloween wear the look you want, rock the outfit you like, and most importantly have a fun attitude and outlook as you approach Halloweekend.