jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It’s that time of year again in DC: the leaves are changing color, the temperature is getting cooler, and the line for Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Gelman Starbucks is out the door—yep, it’s autumn here at GW. While your summer fling might have been fun, returning to GW in the fall opens the door for a wide range of dates, and DC is chock full of things to do. Whether a first date or an anniversary outing, here are some fun fall date ideas to consider:

Museums

Yes, you’ve probably been to many of DC’s museums as a tourist or—if you’re a GW student—for a class assignment at some point, but take advantage of some of the specific events that the museums put on in the fall and relish in the experience! Usher in the holiday season at the National Zoo’s ZooLights event, or even stargaze at the Public Observatory. Many of DC’s museums are free, which make them a friendly option to a college budget!

National Mall

When the wind gets chilly, snuggle up to your date and admire the changing colors of the leaves on the National Mall! Grab some coffee from one of DC’s best coffee shops or some apple cider and stroll along the Mall, or spread out a picnic blanket and bring a home-cooked meal for an intimate, low-key get-together.

Food Tours

After being away for an entire summer, returning to DC in all its culinary glory is a welcome treat! There is perhaps no better way to truly appreciate the wide variety of cuisines that DC hosts than to take a food tour. While this date does require shelling out a little money, the experience may be worth it if you or your date is a foodie at heart!

Outside DC

If you’re willing to venture outside the District, there are some other truly autumnal dates to toast the season with. Rent a Zipcar, for instance, and make a day trip out of apple-picking, going to a pumpkin patch, and getting lost in a corn maze—break out your cutest scarf and boots and get ready for a full-day fall experience!

Just because the temperature has cooled off doesn’t mean romance has to as well! DC never runs out of fun activities to do, and many of them are perfect date opportunities—all it takes is a little creative thinking.