Definitive Ranking of Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Now before anyone tries to jump down my throat about how am disgracing Christmas by not putting Elf at #1, I just need to say that this is just my opinion. These are my favorite Christmas movies and I completely understand if they’re not in your particularly prefered order.

1. The Santa Clause

Hands down, this is my favorite Christmas movie of all time. It’s all about sweet little Charlie Calvin who just wants to tell the world that his father is Santa Claus and how cool he thinks that is. Tim Allen becomes the most honest and real Santa Claus we’ve ever known.

2. Polar Express

Based on the cherished children’s book, this doubtful young boy’s inspiring adventure takes him on an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole. If this movie doesn’t restore belief in the Christmas spirit, I don’t know what will.

3. Home Alone

Macaulay Culkin got his Christmas wish; to eat ice cream and watch gangster movies while his parents and siblings magically disappeared overnight. We all know, however, that it’s the epic battle between Kevin and the Wet Bandits that sells the movie. Kevin’s preparations for the confrontation set to “Carol of the Bells” is iconic.

4. Elf

Many would argue this to be the best Christmas movie of all time. Only Will Ferrell could have created a character so enthusiastic and loveable. As silly as the movie is, it absolutely deserves the title of “modern classic.”

5. A Charlie Brown Christmas

Charlie Brown, Linus, Sally and the rest of the gang’s realization of the over-commercialization of the holiday serves as a lesson to us all.

6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

We’ve all been read the story of the poor green monster whose heart was two sizes too small. Jim Carrey brings this grumpy character to life in the best way. And while they have their variations, both the original cartoon and the live-action adaptation are sure to please Christmas enthusiasts of all ages.

7. Love Actually

This romantic comedy follows nine intertwined stories during the final weeks before Christmas. Not every couple turns out like you’d imagine and that’s the best part. Not every movie has a happy ending, but this one makes us realize that “love, actually, is all around.” 

8. While You Were Sleeping

This 1995 romantic comedy stars Sandra Bullock as she plays off being the fiancé of the man of her dreams. However, while he’s sleeping away in a coma, she beings to fall for his brother. It’s touching, I promise.

9. Miracle on 34th Street

There’s nothing like the oldies. When Kris Kringle takes on the position of the Macy’s Santa Claus, claiming to be the real thing, he is accused of improper sanity and locked up. What does it take to not only convince the children of the world, but also the condescending affluent of New York City? This classic puts Christmas on trial and the true spirit prevails — could there possibly be a better message?

10. A Christmas Carol

Ebenezer Scrooge is back and scarier than every. Jim Carrey finds a way to turn this timely tale into a real-life ghost story. 

Photo sources:

Giphy.com