andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Baby, It’s Cold Outside: Five Fun and Festive Dates for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

With Thanksgiving fast-approaching, and that familiar winter weather rolling in, the holiday season is finally upon us. As you find yourself in the home stretch of the semester, it’s the perfect time of year to de-stress with some cozy seasonal dates. Below are my top suggestions for the most fun and festive holiday date ideas out there – best of all, they won’t break the bank!

1. ZooLights at the National Zoo

3001 Connecticut Ave., NW

Over 500,000 Christmas lights deck out the National Zoo from November 28 to January 1 as a part of the annual ZooLights festival. Admission is free from 5-9 PM every night, and you and your date are free to explore the zoo, where you’ll see not just animals but live music, yummy food, and fun shopping. There will also be a musical light show! Romance is all about the ambiance, and if the festival’s twinkling lights aren’t cute enough, the chilly weather will keep you and your date close throughout the night.

1. Ice Skating at Washington Harbour

3000 K St., NW

The Washington Harbour rink, located right on the scenic Georgetown Waterfront, is another great date option, especially for couples who like to be active. The rink is open until 10 PM on Fridays and Saturdays, and costs only $10 per person, plus an additional $5 if you need to rent skates. The atmosphere is fun, with music playing in the background, and people of all ages busting out their best ice dancing moves. Not so hot on skates? It’s the perfect opportunity to hold hands with your crush while you inch your way around the rink.

1. Beat the Cold and Cook at Home

Sometimes the best date ideas are the simplest ones. Too cold to go outside? Then stay in, and get cozy cooking dinner together. Challenge yourself to stick to a certain recipe or budget, and see what you and your date can come up with! Maybe finish off the meal with some eggnog, or spiked cider or hot chocolate, along with a favorite holiday movie to watch together. (Christmas Vacation, anyone?)

1. Attend the National Christmas Tree or Menorah Lightings

1600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

The National Christmas Tree lighting ceremony will be on Thursday, December 4, while the lighting ceremony of National Chanukah Menorah will take place on Tuesday, December 16. Take a stroll down to these conveniently-located attractions and you’ll also get to enjoy the walk past the monuments as you make your way to the White House. You may not be able to fit a giant Christmas tree or menorah in your dorm room, but seeing the beautiful national incarnations light up will definitely get you in the holiday spirit.

1. See The Nutcracker ballet

2700 F. St., NW

From December 10 through 14, Ballet West will be performing Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker at the Kennedy Center. Located at another nearby venue, the show is a perennial favorite. If you enjoy ballet, or want to do an activity more on the cultural side, this is a great option. Although even the cheapest tickets are a little steep at $56, this could be the date to splurge on. And afterward, you could always give your date have his pick of bars for a nightcap, in case sitting through a couple hours of classical dance isn’t exactly his thing.          

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.