Anorexia: How to Identify Signs and Symptoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It is alarming that anorexia is often only noticed when the symptoms become visible, like extreme weight loss, thin hair, and extreme fatigue. Anorexia is more than the relationship between food and weight; it is a silent killer, evolving from simple chains of thought to compulsive and obsessive behaviors. By that point, it can feel nearly impossible to intervene. 

If you are concerned that you or someone you love may have an eating disorder, notice these signs that may signal anorexia (from the National Eating Disorder Association website.)

• Body image and weight gain obsession.
  • Dramatic weight loss. 
  • Frequent fatigue. 
  • Refusal to eat or denial of hunger, even when starving. 
  • Making excuses to skip meals. 
  • Adopting unusual eating habits, such as spitting food after eating or eating only certain type of low fat food. 
  • Weighing calories. 
  • Excessive exercise

There are also some psychological symptoms that resemble the warning signs of anorexia. Some of them are usually dismissed as exaggeration. 

• Flat mood or lack of emotion. 
  • Obsessing over being fat. 
  • Developing anxiety or panic attacks when it comes to food. 
  • Depression. 
  • Low self-esteem. 

Anorexia destroys everything around it, except itself, but there is a way out: Symptoms can be noticed if paid enough attention. 

There are several available forms of assistance like the GW Counseling Center. The Counseling Center also has an eating disorder specialist for more targeted, direct assistance. 

If you suspect that someone you know is going through an eating disorder, it is worth noting that there are ways to start a discussion about it. You can also take an active stand to promote anorexia awareness through student organization like SPEAK GW (Students Promoting Eating Disorder Awareness and Knowledge). 

Learning to love yourself takes so much work, so much persistence and patience. College in particular is a tough time to deal with self-esteem; it is a process, but one you should never have to go through alone.