The Perks of Sisterly Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

To sisters everywhere,

As the youngest of four girls I have no shortage of experience when it comes to the joy of having a sister. Throughout my life, many of my friends have talked about how annoying their sister was or how they hated her, but I could never relate (and I have three!). I can honestly say that I love each of my sisters. Each of them has taught me something different yet equally important. Claire taught me to be organized, prepared, and creative. Katie taught me to express myself no matter what, to not care about what others think, and to be strong-willed and levelheaded. Megan taught me to be kind, to have an optimistic outlook, and to laugh at my mistakes and myself. Without each of these lessons I would not be the same person I am today.

A sister is a built-in support system. No matter what my problem is, I know I can always bring it to my sisters. (Yes, my mom is also a great support system, but there are even some things you don’t want to bring to your mom.) No matter how bad of a day I have had, when I’m with my sisters I always end up laughing until I cry or just simply can’t breathe anymore. I could never be truly annoyed or angered by my sisters because of what they have given me and the joy that they bring to my life. The next time you feel like yelling at or ignoring that annoying sister of yours, please remember all the things your sister does for you and all the happiness she brings you.

To my own sisters,

Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for everything you have given me. I have had many of my blessings in my life but having you three as sisters has to be the greatest one. Each of you is such an amazing woman in your own right and has truly been inspirational to me. I can only hope that I make each of your lives as bright at you make mine. I don’t know where life will take each of us, but I do know that we will stay best friends and most importantly, sisters, until the bitter end.