Introducing Gustavus’ New Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention Coordinator, Justine Stein!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

In the past few months, you may have noticed a lot of emails in your Gustavus inbox regarding Title IX. Title IX applies to and is vital to all educational institutions, both public and private, which receive federal funds. Title IX states:

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

Gustavus began its hiring process for a new Title IX coordinator in the fall semester with a search committee that consisted of a student from the Womyn’s Awareness Center, a student from the President’s Task Force on Sexual Misconduct, the leader of the Sexual Assault Response Team, and two deputy Title IX coordinators. The position of Title IX coordinator is one of the most sought-after roles in higher education right now.

Ms. Justine Stein joins us as Gustavus’ new Title IX coordinator from Hamline University, where she was the Title IX and Green Dot Trainer. At Hamline, Ms. Stein was also a member of the Sexual Assault Task Force and she has training in Forensic Experimental Trauma Interview, Gender and Sexualities Series, Student Conduct Board Hearings, and Safe Zone Training.

Where did you go to school?

“I did my undergraduate work at Minnesota State University, Mankato, where I earned a degree with two majors, Communication Studies and English. I received my Master’s Degree in Leadership in Higher Education at the University of St. Thomas.”

What led you to this new job here at Gustavus?

“First, my experience at Minnesota State University, Mankato led me to this new job. While an undergraduate, I was educated on the career possibilities in higher education and grew a passion for leadership work and prevention education. Then, in the pursuit of my Master’s

Degree I began learning more about Title IX and dedicated my research papers and projects to the subject. In addition, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to work in a Title IX department as a graduate student. When I saw the job opening for the Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Prevention Coordinator at Gustavus, I knew I had to apply because I am deeply passionate about Title IX and sexual misconduct prevention. I had to apply because I knew the sound reputation of Gustavus Adolphus College and I knew it would be an environment in which I could thrive.”

What do you like about Gustavus so far?

“The people are the best part. The moment I stepped on campus I was welcomed and supported by not only the administration, but also the entire community. I look forward to building more connections with faculty, staff, and especially students. Everyone I have met has taught me something new and cares deeply about this community.”

How has your experience being a Title IX coordinator been so far and what made you want to do this?

“My experience thus far has been very positive and thought provoking. I have learned so much through my interactions and collaborations with the staff, faculty, and students. I have also had wonderful opportunities to attend professional conferences in order to network with fellow Title IX coordinators and sharpen my knowledge and skills on the topic. As previously stated, I wanted to do this because I believe in the tenets of Title IX. I want to supply resources and provide education on the topics of sexual misconduct. I’ve instantly felt the overwhelming support and care that Gustavus Adolphus College has for these issues.”

What is your main goal in this new position and biggest area of concern in terms of fighting discrimination? 

“I have many goals for this position. Currently, my main goal is to absorb as much as I can about Gustavus culture and the things our community would like to see done in Title IX and prevention work. In the long-term, my goal is to have a holistic approach to prevention work with learning objectives. I want to continue to work on building a Title IX process that follows both mandated law and best practices, while reflecting the mission of the institution, and continues to offer due process and resources for all participants experiencing a Title IX process. In terms of tackling these goals and fighting discrimination, there are numerous opportunities and obstacles. One of the biggest concerns I have in terms of fighting discrimination are the messages society and media send about not only women and their roles in society, but about all marginalized groups. In battling these messages, the goal is ultimately a culture shift.”

What are your thoughts on the newly elected secretary of education, Betsy DeVos?

“I hope Betsy DeVos takes her new position very seriously and takes the opportunity to critically reflect on what our education system really needs. I hope she does not take action to stop the momentum or reverse the effects of Title IX. In the past few years, there has been immense progress in higher education in terms of Title IX. Moving forward, regardless of the administration’s support, I think institutions are going to want to keep the progress going because it is what is right. I know Gustavus Adolphus College has this viewpoint and so do many other colleges and universities.”

If you could give your college-self advice, what would you say?

“Seek every opportunity to learn through extracurricular opportunities such as internships, study abroad, community service, or leadership positions. Believe in your capabilities and do not apologize for having confidence in your ability. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself.”

What are some things that you are grateful for?

“Everything. The good and the bad. I know in this life I have been handed a lot of opportunity others have not and am so grateful for each opportunity I have had and will have in the future.”

Hello my name is Yesenia. I am a Sophomore at Gustavus Adolphus college. I am hoping to major in Psychology and Studio Art to be an art therapist. I enjoy seeing and making art and I also like to help people. I love coffee and fall time is my favorite season because of all the pretty colors and comfy clothes.