etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things To Do In Minnesota Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Let’s be honest, spring break in Minnesota usually isn’t all that thrilling, considering it’s not uncommon for the temperature to be below freezing well into March. Nonetheless, our wintery state is still home to a variety of cheap and fun activities to do over spring break! Here’s a list of seven spring break activities and adventures you can embark on in Minnesota.

1. Coffee Shop Hop

Minnesota is home to dozens of aesthetically-pleasing coffee shops that specialize in drinks just waiting to be instagrammed. The Twin Cities area is home to many of these shops. Map out some, such as Spyhouse, Caffetto, and Urban Bean. Get your caffeine fix while exploring the city!

2. Explore A State Park

It’s no surprise that “The Land of 10,000 Lakes” also has its fair share of state parks. With 76 parks ranging from beautiful natural waterfalls at Minneopa State Park, to the headwaters of the Mississippi River at Itasca State Park, there’s sure to be one near your town to explore. Grab a few friends, pack a picnic, and make a day of it!

3. Give Back to Nature

Winter, especially in Minnesota, can have a harsh effect on the natural landscape over the long, cold months. When things start to thaw out over spring break, consider giving back to nature! You could plant a few flower or vegetable seeds in your backyard, or pick up trash alongside a dirty highway. Whatever the task, every little thing you do to give back to nature makes a huge impact.

4. Get Crafty!

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to leave your house to have a good time over spring break. While getting outside for some fresh air is always needed, sometimes a day in to make some crafts is nice, too. Draw, paint, sketch, knit, and do it all from the comfort of your room! If you’re in need of some inspiration, be sure to scroll through Pinterest to gain some ideas to create your next DIY project.

5. Exercise (Yes, you read that right!)

You may read this suggestion and think, “What?! Not a chance!”, but with the (hopefully) nice spring weather, spring break is the perfect chance to get outside and exercise. Go for a walk, a run, a hike, or a bike ride. You’ll feel good about yourself and get some fresh air at the same time. Plus, there are even ways to exercise when the weather is still too nasty to run outside—check out this article for types on staying fit while avoiding the gym.

6. Attend a Local Music Show

The local music scene in Minnesota is underrated and off the charts. Local Minneapolis bands perform shows together during the week at venues like Triple Rock Social Club, First Avenue, or even in people’s basements! While it may seem a little intimidating, I promise you, you’ll be surrounded by amazing people all there to enjoy good music. Tickets are almost always under $10, and sometimes they’re even free! Check into your local music venues to see who’s playing over spring break and rock out to good tunes!

7. Clean Out Your Closet

As cliché as it may sound, with spring comes the infamous spring cleaning! Take a day (or a couple of days, let’s be real) to clean up your mess of a room. There’s nothing like a little dusting and vacuuming while jamming to your favorite songs to really get into that happy, spring break feeling.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.