This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Tinder has become a very prevalent way of ‘dating’ in today’s society. It is great for those who are nervous to meet people out at bars or social events. Tinder offers you a selection of individuals and you are able to swipe left or right depending on the attractiveness of the person. You start conversations and potentially take it off Tinder. So, if you are one of the lucky ones who doesn’t meet a complete tool off Tinder then here are some do’s and don’ts for you so you don’t mess it up …

When you are swiping through…

1. Don’t openly admit that you have purchased Tinder plus or ‘Gold’

No one wants to know you’re actually that desperate

2. Do start conversations off in a creative manor

Everyone appreciates if you put in a little more effort than just ‘hey’

3.  Do put realistic pictures of yourself on your profile

No one likes a catfish

4. Don’t talk about how much you like a person until after you’ve met them or message them multiple times without a response… 

Nobody wants to be stuck with a stage 5 clinger also make sure they are feeling the same way before you get clingy on them. Its ok as long as both parties are feeling it.

5. Do be upfront about your intentions from the app

This one is pretty self explanatory

6. Don’t match with people just to insult them

I think that’s a given … just don’t be an a**hole

7. Don’t brag about your penis size… 

I don’t think anybody wants to know about the size of your penis before they know any detail about you personally 

If you make it on a date… 

8. If you make it on a date, don’t drink seven beers

Unless you are fully intending on having a drunken night out and its agreed by both parties

9. Don’t order your date another drink, after they have said no

Even if you were trying to be nice, I can guarantee they wont be impressed

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!