5 Books to Read if you Loved 50 Shades of Grey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Did you love the  50 Shades of Grey books and the movies? Are  you waiting anxiously for the next movie to come out, but you need something to tide you over until then?  Here are five books that satisfy your need for romance with a little extra naughty edge:

Gabriel’s Inferno by Sylvain Reynard

This book has similar characters with the innocent woman falling for the powerful, experienced man.  If you are looking for something with a hot, angsty, possessive man, this book will fill every need. This book lacks the smutty detail that you loved in 50 Shades but makes up for it with its romantic nature, but if you are looking for the down and dirty details, this book may not be for you.

Screwdrivered by Alice Clayton

The main character in this book, Vivian, is adventurous, sassy, and is a huge romantic.  When she picks up her life and moves across the country, she believes she is stepping into her very own romance novel.  She ends up having to choose between two very attractive men who ignite her in very different ways.  This book is a slow build but it definitely worth the wait.  This is actually the third book in a series but the story is about a minor character you meet briefly in the second novel, so feel free to start with Screwdrivered!

The Submissive Trilogy by Tara Sue Me

Similar to 50 Shades, the relationship is between a rich man who is used to getting his way and a lover who breaks the rules and is trying to capture the heart of a man who is emotionally unavailable.  The main character willingly offers herself up to be a submissive in this novel, rather than falling into the role like Ana did.  This novel is a perfect mix of bedroom fun, angst, and some serious romance.

Driven by K. Bromberg

The main character in this book is Rylee Thomas and she is used to being in control of her life, but to Colton Donavan she is a challenge.  These characters are polar opposites, with one being completely in control and the other being utterly reckless, but they clash perfectly in this novel.  This book could give you the BDSM edge that you are looking for with the added bonus of the chemistry of the characters.  Best thing about this book? It has six more in the series.  That should keep you going until the next 50 Shades movie comes out!

Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman

This book is less about BDSM but still has a lot of that Alpha male trope in it.  The main male character has been thrown forward in time and was originally from ancient Scotland. He clashes with the main character, Grace, because she wishes to be independent and he wants to claim her as his.  Though it may not fill your desire for BDSM, it does have its fair share of naughty details and a great plot.

So there you have it, five books that will help tie you over!  So get reading, and remember there is less than a year until 50 Shades Freed comes out in theatres!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!