Transfer Devin Mitchell Holds Promise for GSU Men’s Basketball 2017-18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If there is one guy on the Georgia State University basketball team you want to keep an eye on next season it is player #24, Devin Mitchell.

In a sit down interview, we find out just how excited Devin Mitchell is to be back in his home state, Georgia. “Transferring from Alabama to Georgia State was definitely a plus,” Mitchell said.

Earlier this year, Mitchell made the choice to leave the team at the University of Alabama due to limited playing time. “I first went there after high school because I felt Alabama needed what I had,” said Mitchell. “The team was struggling offensively at the time, but then coach got let go and that made me question staying.”

Mitchell says he questioned playing for Alabama for a while wondering if it was a better choice for him to focus on academics. His mother wasn’t a huge fan of him being so far from home either, but she loved the idea of him playing for GSU. “I already knew a lot of the guys on the team, so it just made sense for me to come here,” Mitchell said.

He started playing organized basketball when he was in 7th grade. At his high school, Collins Hill, Mitchell became the leading scorer on his team, averaging at about 16.7 points per game as a senior. He was a part of the Gwinnett Daily Post Super Six, which profiles the top six players in the county. ESPN ranked him No. 6 player in Georgia, all leading him to get his scholarship at an SEC school.

Teammate and captain, Isaiah Dennis, said, “Devin is one of the best scorers, he really stretches the court. He is still getting used to the defensive side, but progressing every practice.” He continued, “I’m a very vocal leader and he really listens to what I have to say.”

Of course learning the system for GSU isn’t the only thing Dennis is teaching Mitchell. “I can’t dance and Isaiah and the other guys have been teaching me dance moves.” Some of Mitchell’s favorites include listening to Migos prior to the game, eating Italian food and rapping even though he admits to being bad at it.

Mitchell expresses his biggest inspirations are his failures, his dad and being so close to the team. “I am sometimes hard-headed and having my family and close teammates around helps diffuse any pressure or expectations I have for myself,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell also says one of the biggest challenges that lies ahead is the Sunbelt Championship, but Dennis concurs the team is taking it one day at a time. We see great promise for the GSU Panthers and can’t wait for the next season!

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus