george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Succeed by 25, or Fail At Life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Social media often does a good job at showing us where we’re lacking in life, whether it be physically or in worldly positions. Now with all these depictions of successful young people it’s starting to feel like it’s coming after own our timeline on life.

Last month, a thread by Samantha Marsh, went viral stating how this “race to success” culture created by the youth of the internet has lead to those who haven’t reached success by their 20’s being seen as failures and now apart of the elderly community. 

Everyday I’m seeing a new accomplishment from someone whether it be them starting a family, hitting a milestone on their blossoming YouTube channel, or getting that 4.0 they’ve been working so hard for. Only three months into my 19th year, social media would say that I’m behind only having a high school diploma and a semester of college under my belt. It begins to seem like everyone around is getting a leg up quicker and at a younger age. But I get it, everyone wants to brag on early success. The earlier it comes the easier the rest of life should be right? We have so many examples these days, Kylie Jenner, at 20 years old a baby and a multi-million dollar company under her belt, rappers getting younger and younger these days, and YouTube making it seem like anyone with a camera could “make bank” off their videos no matter the content.

Source

Social media has made life into a competition, hurting us and helping us at the same time. Seeing others accomplish great things can help motivate us to do the same. But somehow, we get forced into thinking that we have to do it at the same pace as them. There’s nothing wrong with looking up to someone and respecting their accomplishments. But, no one likes to talk about the hard work in between. Nobody shares their failures, so of course all you see is them doing well.

What helped me snap out of this race against time is putting things into perspective and worrying about myself. I use to also think I needed to have my life together in my 20’s, but in reality most people at that age are the complete opposite, barely figuring it out, and maybe by their 30’s they’ll pull it together. Everyone has their own definition of success. So the best thing to do is focus on what you’re doing and as the ancient proverb goes, ”stay in your lane.” As long as you’re working on your own goals you’re doing something right and on time. Not only does this time clocking culture hurt the younger generation, but also those older than us. It makes me think they have missed their window if they have not accomplished everything they wanted at a young age. You really have such a long window to go for everything you want. To make you feel better, Vera Wang didn’t start designing until she turned 40, Charles Darwin didn’t write the Origin of Species until his 50’s, and Leonardo Dicaprio just won his first Oscar back in 2016. So time is always on your side.

Source

Life is a long trek sprinkled with moments to keep you going, and looking back they can be sparse. Only living for those highs can become bleak. Success isn’t overnight so that can’t be your only source of happiness. Instead of focusing on the endgame enjoy the process. That is what people write books and create movies about.

Those that are successful young are flukes, so don’t let this imaginary clock rush you. Afterall, time is just an illusion created to stifle us. As well-know YouTube Nathan Zed’s Good Enough campaign states,” growth begins with accepting yourself as enough.”

Hi! My names Allyn Haynes. I'm a recent transfer student from Georgia State University to the University of Georgia. I am a Journalism with a minor in fashion merchandising. If I'm not writing you can catch me listening to Frank Ocean or binge watching a tv show. Thanks for stopping by and giving my article a read!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus