Myleik Teele and the Podcast that May Change Your Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The woman behind the CurlBox brand just keeps getting better.

Myleik Teele, founder, curator and creator of the monthly subscription CurlBox that gives women of color staple products for their unique hair, can now offer us more than brands such as Shea Moisture and Uncle Funky’s Daughter. While those products are amazing (and moisture retention gems), she is now offering a bit more than hair products for us to completely get our lives in order.

If you are familiar with the podcast world then you may know that Myleik has been offering her words of wisdom, branding tips and sisterly advice on her My TaughtYou platform for quite sometime now. If you are not sure what I am talking about, I am here to bring you up to speed!

Myleik began recording podcasts in late 2011 as a way to share valuable business advice that you not hear elsewhere without a hefty price tag. Generally tips concerning how to build your business require some type of conference, executive meeting or a few hours with someone who has been in the field for a couple hundred dollars, but not this time.

Aside from being a speaker at TEDxGeorgiaState’s 2015 “Keep the Change” series, she continues to expand her horizons.

Teele has since then generated her topics to maintaining relationships, traveling, features and even giving us a small view of her life in weekly therapy sessions. This is enlightening because she is a black woman who is an entrepreneur and admits that she has some trauma in her life that she is willing to correct with the proper time and dedication.

The CurlBox founder is very open about her willingness to obtain self-joy and she is even more upfront about how she will continue to obtain it.

Specifically there is one podcast that can speak to every woman everywhere, even the college-aged woman. The podcast entitled, “How I Learned to Accept My Happiness and Appreciate My Joy,” gives us an important view on letting go, seeking help, building a foundation and embracing the beauty in your outcome.

The title alone will draw you in. Teele speaks of not accepting what is dangerously familiar, giving an end to worrying, how to stop waiting for that “bad thing” to happen and many more trinkets of wisdom that she has picked up along the way. Podcasts or outlets such as these are important because in return, it lends certain information or needed advice that some people may not be able to give you.

Even in that instance, it is okay because of the humble trailblazers like Myleik. Her story is not one that spills over with self pity, but is one that teaches young women to accept what they are feeling when they feel it.

One line Myleik mentions in this podcast is, “I had to stop worrying about the end.” Often times, especially as college aged women, we are always on the go and in search of the next thing so that we do not have to worry about anything ending. Many women that I have encountered have willingly admitted that they adopted that same trait along the way to success.

Anyone who is working toward something knows that success is not easy, so why make it hard? Teele notes that she simply had to stop looking for things to go wrong. Yes, that is way easier said than done, especially when you are working to ensure that everything goes incredibly right. However, it is also important to be realistic in understanding that sometimes life will intervene and that is okay because nothing is ever permanent.

Teele even managed to point out that when we plan for things to go right and they do, we may even freak out because it actually happened. So many of us are guilty of this, but the “sisterly talk” she gives in the podcast lends a hand to reassurance.

Whenever you have the time to browse through your podcasts, I highly recommend looking into Myleik’s feed. Not only does she offer great entrepreneurial advice, but she also gives you what you really need to hear. She is authentic, inspirational and podcast goals. Give her a listen ladies, because it just might change your life.

A little nugget that Myleik shares at the end is a piece of literary work from Shannon Alder, which inclusively ties all of her points together. The piece entitled “You Choose,” distinctively breaks down the choices that we as women will make in our lifetime, but also shared encouragement in knowing that you are not alone.

Don’t forget follow Myleik on her social media platforms at @myleik

Cydney Maria (Rhines) is a creative writer, journalist and photographer located in Atlanta, Ga. She is currently a student at Georgia State University studying journalism and english. She coins her brand as something curated beautifully for those who may not feel that beauty. Her main focus is mental health, social issues, digital design and of course the beauty of black girl magic. Her main goal is to constantly write creative content that fills a need. She is currently published accross multiple platforms and looks to continue her current level of work after she graduates from GSU. Check this creative out!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus