Hillary Clinton Speaks at City Hall for Early Voting Rally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Hillary Clinton and Mayor Kasim Reed spoke at City Hall for an early voting rally ahead of Super Tuesday. The crowd consisted of city officials, supporters and a few undecided voters who heard her speak about issues important to the election, including gun control.

“We have got to do something about the epidemic of gun violence,” the former senator and secretary of state said. Gun control has particular interest in Georgia because of the recent passage of a Campus Carry bill in the House of the General Assembly. The bill will allow college students to carry concealed weapons on campus.

Clinton acknowledged that gun violence is concerning because of the frequent loss of lives of unarmed black teens at the hands of police. “There is something so profoundly troubling about what’s happening,” she said.

If elected, Clinton said that she would support more comprehensive background checks, closing the loopholes to people getting guns, and making gun sellers more accountable.

Clinton also said she would keep pushing policies to raise the economy, something that she credits President Barack Obama for setting a foundation for. “We need to make sure we are making investments here in Georgia and across America that will make us more prosperous and stronger,” she said.

She talked about barriers she would eliminate, including those that keep people from “good” paying jobs and increase incomes. She also mentioned barriers that keep people from voting.

An 85 year-old woman goes to a polling station and is asked for her birth certificate. She tells the pollsters that she hasn’t seen it in years, she recounts. “What part of democracy are these Republican governors and legislators and members of Congress afraid of?” Clinton asked.

Both Clinton and Mayor Reed pushed for the attendees to get out and early vote. “I came to ask you to do everything you can to encourage others to get out and vote on Super Tuesday,” she said. “I need you to be a part of this campaign.”

Mayor Reed ended the rally pledging the state’s support for Clinton as the Democratic presidential candidate. “You don’t have to worry about Georgia,” he said.

Carlyn Pounders is a senior at Georgia State University in Atlanta. She will be graduating in May with a degree in Journalism (concentration in Multimedia Reporting) and double minor in Political Science and African American Studies. She is an avid consumer of news. She enjoys talking politics or arts and culture.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus