Breast Yourself: How To Do A Breast Self-Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

October is officially Breast Cancer Awareness month! We wear an excessive amount of pink, we buy a lot of froyo, we walk and donate for the cause, but one thing we should all add to our list is a self-examination.

Approximately 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. Fortunately, there are many ways you can check for breast cancer before going to the doctor. Women, as early as their 20s, need to be aware of how to perform breast self-examinations. Early detection and changes in breast tissue can ultimately lead to the prevention and control of breast cancer. This statistic can be significantly reduced just by examining your breasts in specific techniques. Here is the step-by-step approach to giving yourself a breast self-exam:

Look at your tatas carefully. Step in front of the mirror and examine your breasts visually while standing straight with your hands on your hips. Look at size, shape and color to make sure if anything is unusual.

Check for swelling, dimpling, puckering, bulging of the skin, redness, soreness, or an inverted nipple. If you notice any of these things, tell your doctor immediately. Raise your arms. Look closely for any signs of fluid coming out of your nipples, whether it’s yellow, milky, watery, or even blood.

Feel your breasts. This is not a sexual task and should be taken seriously. Start by lying down, using your right hand to feel your left breast, then the same with your left hand on your right breast. Go lightly around the nipple and slowly get firmer as you circle your breast with your fingers.

Shower time. Women find it easiest to finish the breast self-examination in the shower because the skin is wet. Do it standing or sitting and cover the entire breast from top to bottom, side to side. From the collarbone to the abdomen and continued from the armpit to the center of your chest. Feel for lumps and/or aching.

Great job! You are well on your way to preventing the spread of breast cancer. Don’t forget to continue this routine monthly to check for any changes in your breasts and remember that together we can connect, communicate and get closer to finding a cure one step at a time. Save the tatas!

Dominique Regalado is a multimedia Journalism major at Georgia State University. When she is not running around campus, she is drowning herself in coffee or editing for Her Campus. Dominique enjoys reading, going out for food, and much more while spending all her money on retail. She aspires to be a journalist for a major magazine publication. Follow her on Twitter: @domregalado!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus