Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Valentine’s Day and Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the day of love, gifts, and celebrating relationships or starting new ones. It is also the day that every couple ever is demonstrating their love in physical, emotional, and tangible ways. For a person who can’t see their significant other physically on the day of love, it is a completely different experience.

1. First of all, you don’t get to go out on a cute Valentine’s Day date.

It’s one of the common things that most couples do for Valentine’s Day – go on a romantic date somewhere. You could go to a restaurant, a park, or even have a stay in romantic night together. The possibilities are endless, but in a long distance relationship you just have to settle for a FaceTime call and getting food to eat on opposite sides of the phone call.

2. You don’t get to actually be with your significant other.

This one is a given for the most part, but you don’t get to actually love your partner by holding hands, hugging, or kissing because you aren’t physically together. You are either on opposite ends of the country, in different states, or different countries and it’d be pointless to fly out to visit for only one day. It’s even worse if you have different time zones because it could affect the time of day you can even talk to them or be an entirely different day from you.

3. You have to watch other couples be together.

Here’s where the jealousy sets in. What’s worse than not having your S.O. with you? You have to look at other couples happily together. You see them holding hands or laughing together and you just scoff and roll your eyes. You could try and ignore them, but couples, flowers, and hearts are everywhere, especially this time of year.

4. All you can do is send flowers, a card, or a gift – not yourself.

Getting a card or flowers for Valentine’s Day is really sweet and means a lot knowing they appreciate you. However, when you are far away from each other, you can’t see the expression when the other sees what you sent them. It would be much better if you could send yourself to see them, be with them, and tell them you love them in person. But it’s the thought that counts.

Being away from your S.O can be hard whether it is during Valentine’s Day or on a regular basis, but what really matters is how you handle the situation you are in. If you send them a card, flowers, or a gift and then promise to FaceTime on Valentine’s Day, then you can make the most of what you have. I suggest getting similar food, planning a time to FaceTime/Skype, and have a cute video call date. You may not be together, but you are sharing something from a distance and can at least see each other!

Hope you enjoy your Valentine’s Day with whomever you spend it with!