My 5 New Year’s Resolutions (You Might Want to Try Them, too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

In less than three weeks, we will be looking at 2016 through the rearview mirror.  That realization simultaneously freaks me out and gives me solace.  It has been quite a year, filled with significant world events, and for me personally, has been a time of transition.  I’ve been looking at the year ahead, and wondering how I can better myself and the world around me with a New Year’s Resolution.  Here are a few ideas I’ve been contemplating. 

1.  Practicing Patience

Everyone always says that patience is a virtue.  I always respond with, “Well, it’s a virtue I do not possess.” It is one of my fatal flaws and I often wish I had the will to be more patience. So, I’ve been thinking about how best to practice this so-called virtue.  Recently, I heard patience described in two dimensions: little p & big P. Little p represents every day, run of the mill patience, like waiting in lines or suppressing road rage.  Big P, on the other hand, is learning to be patient with God and trusting in His greater plan.  I can definitely work on both of these aspects of patience, and working on little p will help me better understand big P.  

2.  Random Acts of Kindness

I have always been a fan of performing random acts of kindness.  In high school, I organized an annual RAK Day, where a large group of girls went downtown to pass out water bottles, bookmarks with empowering quotes, and simple little kindness cards.  There have been many instances in which I have done an anonymous act of kindness, and every time it is so fulfilling.  By practicing this more often, I think I will be more likely to look for kindness and positivity rather than reasons to complain or negativity.  Furthermore, being able to brighten someone’s day with a simple act fills my heart with joy.

3.  Dodging Distractions

To be quite honest with you, during the process of writing this I have been distracted by Houseparty, the Hamilton Mixtape, and a FaceTime call from my dad, along with the usual culprits of Twitter and Snapchat.  Phones are the ultimate antagonist to productivity.  It’s so easy to avoid all responsibilities when you get tied up scrolling through the Instagram Explore feed or lost in the endless spiral that is Pinterest.  That’s why steering clear of such distractions would be a beneficial resolution.  Just thinking about how much more efficient I could be without my phone vibrating next to me is alarming, and shows just how much I use it when I should be studying.

4.  Read Regularly 

I have always loved books.  From Junie B. Jones, to Harry Potter, to some more sophisticated literature.  I’ve always been able to knock out a novel in a short amount of time. When I buy a new book, I can just lock down and read until I finish.  But since about the beginning of high school, I just have not had enough time to read for pleasure.  Reading has become a chore, an assignment I must complete for class.  I want to make reading for pleasure a priority in my life. 

5.  Strive for Spontaneity

I am 100% a Type A person.  Doing things without a plan ahead of time stresses me out to no end.  I don’t like not knowing things or guessing what might come next.  But I know so many people who have such spontaneous adventures, and I want to be able to do that without worrying about my next move.   This is probably the hardest resolution I could attempt, because it goes against my very nature.  But I think it would be good for my mental health to not stress all the time about the details of my day. 

Whether you make New Year’s resolutions or not, I hope that this helps get you thinking about 2017, and how you can make it a better year for yourself and the world around you. Cheers to the new year!

Portland native with a passion for people & words.
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.