books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

#Girlboss – a Book Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

As a busy college student, I rarely ever find myself with the time to sit down and read a book.  A few weeks ago, I was buying textbooks from the Zagshop and wandered towards the novel section.  There I saw a book titled, “#Girlboss”, and the title itself instantly intrigued me.  On the cover, I saw the name of one of my favorite brands, Nasty Gal.  I had to buy this book! 

“#Girlboss” is essentially an autobiography of Sophia Amoruso, founder of Nasty Gal.  In the book, she tells her story of her rise from the bottom, all the way to running a multi-million-dollar company.  She explicitly explains the obstacles she had to overcome while working to the top, and building her own fashion empire on her way. 

I think there is something to be said about the way that Amoruso found her success.  She did it in the most unconventional way possible.  She went from hitchhiking her way up the west coast to starting her own eBay clothing site in months.  She never went to college, but she worked as hard as she possibly could, learning from her mistakes.  She had nobody to tell her how to do things, yet still achieved success. 

This book was extremely inspirational to me in that she went about finding her success in a way that was unique to her. I think it’s so important to be unconventional.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to be inspired or simply loves a good read! 

Let’s change the world, collegiettes! 

lover of peonies, john f. kennedy, & hip hop music