Pink: The Most Controversial Color For Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

One thing I cannot stand is the color pink.  Yes, I am a girl, yes that is supposed to be the most feminine color, but if I had to choose a favorite shade, or the one I wear most, it would be black.  Many find this odd, and my mom hates that I wear black freaquently, but I know many girls my age that are the same way. 

When I was a kid, my room was painted pink and decorated with flowers, while my brother’s room was navy blue.  When I was young, I thought nothing of this, but as I got older I started to avoid all things pink; I changed the color of my room around the age of ten.  In my mind, I did not categorize myself as a “girly girl,” so why would I like pink?  To me, pink symbolized Barbie and there was a negative connotation for girls that wore pink.  This was my thought process for years and until now I have not realized that most girls in my generation feel the same way, however, this feeling comes in waves generation by generation.

Looking back in time, there are clear moments wear iconic stars have worn all pink and soon after designers followed and produced more pink in their collection.  The first moment that comes to mind was Marilyn Monroe in the film Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.  Marilyn performed the song “Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend” and this became the most iconic part of the movie, inspiring Madonna’s music video “Material Girl” in 1984.  Then we have Jackie Kennedy, who wore the famous Chanel pink suit in 1961.  In the same year, Audrey Hepburn wore her iconic all-pink outfit, made by Givenchy, a world-renowned designer along with Chanel, in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s.  With these iconic women wearing famous designers and rocking the all-pink look, many aspired to be them!  These women very well could have served as the inspiration for Princess Diana who wore all pink suits herself.  Princess Diana, for example, was an inspiration to all, and girls everywhere fell in love with her. Princess Diana, in my opinion, is the reason Gwyneth Paltrow decided to wear a pink princess gown, designed by Ralph Lauren, to the 1999 Oscars.  

In the fashion industry, there was a larger demand for pink after these moments in history but in between these periods, pink was not so popular.  Overall, pink does not have to be a girly color at all; when looking at the women who have embraced the color,, one can see that strong, independent women can wear the color flawlessly.  So if you want to wear pink, wear pink!  I might even buy something in pink for myself…might.

I am currently a senior at Gettysburg College!  I am an English major with a Wrting concentration and Women Gender Studies minor.