Meeting the Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

No matter how much you try to prolong it, the times comes when you have to meet your partner’s family. What better way to be introduced to the entire family than during the holidays? Don’t worry, everyone’s nervous during their first encounter. Things often always go a lot smoother when you know a little bit about your partner’s family. Most people are family oriented and look towards their family for advice on whether their partner will be a good fit or not. Listed below are a few tips to help you get through this stressful time.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Try to arrive on time, and if you’re running behind call and let them know. Once arrive, apologize for being late. This shows that you are considerate of their time.  Make sure you dress in a way that represents you in the best light, just as you would for a job interview. Dress conservatively. Remember, grandparents and younger children might be present. If it’s a casual dinner make sure that you’re outfit isn’t the topic of conversation the minute you walk out of the room.

LEAVE YOUR PHONE BEHIND

It’s bad enough we have our phones out during our own family dinners, dates, and lunch with friends, but now you’re trying to impress your partner’s family. This is a big NO-NO! Leave your phone in your purse, or in the car. Don’t bring your phone to the table. It gives off the impression that you’d rather be somewhere else talking with other people. It’s disrespectful and doesn’t allow you to fully engage, conversing-getting to know the family. You can retrieve your phone after dinner and hold off on calling your family/friends discussing his family. You wouldn’t want them overhearing and offending them with any negative things you may have to say.

LIMIT DISPLAY OF AFFECTION

You never know how parents feel about seeing their child hugged/kissed up with someone, so keep the touching and kissing to a minimal. So don’t do the usual grabbing, touching, coming up from behind and smacking…well you get the ideal. There is a time and place for being intimate and at a parent’s house is not one of them. If you’re staying overnight, respect the parents’ home and sleep in separate rooms. Also, don’t overstay your welcome. Sometimes parents want to meet you, but also want to spend time with their child they haven’t seen in a while. So, if your significant other stays behind to catch up or has drop you off and come back, be understanding.

HELP OUT

When it’s time to bring out the food, offer to help. You’re partners parents might say no thank you, but you still need to offer just in case. Especially, during clean up. Help bring the dishes into the kitchen, wash/dry them, throw away any disposable cups, plates, etc. Manners are a big part in winning over parents (Especially-mothers)! So don’t forget to say yes/no ma’am/sir.

BE RESPECTFUL

You know what topics are off limits, so don’t push the boundaries. Try not to offend or bring up any touchy subjects. Your partner should have told you a little bit about their family, so you know what should and shouldn’t be discussed. If your partner’s parents ask you something that you don’t feel comfortable answering. Let them know that you rather not answer that or that the topic of discussing isn’t something you’re comfortable discussing yet. You’re there to impress, but never do anything that you don’t feel comfortable doing.

Parents have been in this situation before, and most of the time they just want to get to know you and you’re intentions with their child. Don’t lie or exaggerate, be honest and upfront. Just be yourself and the rest will work itself out.

Bridget Johnson

Georgia Southern

I’m Bridget! I have a degree in Business and currently majoring in Psychology. My ultimate goal is to have my own practice. I love glamour, fashion, photography, writing, art, dance, poetry-really any form of expression. I’m almost always with family or friends, although I do love some “me” time. I’m a free spirit and enjoy meeting new people.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.