sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Homage to Classic Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Tis the season for Halloween! It’s that time of the year once again for fall festivals, fairs, Halloween candy, haunted houses and so on. The one thing that will never get old, however, are those classic Halloween or fall themed movies that we love to look forward to every year. Whether we’re watching them with a friend, a boo or ourselves, we can all agree that watching a classic is a must to get into the spirit. So, lets hop right in and dive into this list of popular movies perfect for this fall.

Halloweentown 

Okay, how can you not like Halloweentown? This movie is actually a series and a Disney Channel original. A young girl finds out she is a witch and goes on an adventure to save a town, Halloweentown, full of monsters, ghouls, witches and other supernatural creatures, from evil. I grew up watching this and it never gets old.

Twitches

Twins, Tia Mowry-Hardrict and Tamera Mowry-Housley, star in this movie where they play twins, of course, separated at birth. They eventually meet and use their powers to help save their biological mother in an alternate world. Full of action, comedy and the Halloween spirit, how could we not love this one?

The Addams Family 

The Addams family may be the creepiest family we adore from the early 90’s. Full of dark comedy and humor, we follow the Addam’s family on their adventure as they come into contact with a con artist claiming to be a relative. Too bad for this fraud that the Adam’s family has a lot up their sleeves (gives a sinister, but friendly smirk).

Beetlejuice 

After dying in a car accident, a couple is stuck haunting the land of their home. While trying to scare away new owners, they run into a wacky spirit, Beetlejuice, who offers “help”. Beetlejuice will have you laughing and intrigued as it is more on the humorous than scary side, nothing to worry about here. I mean the film is rated PG. Try saying “Beetlejuice” in your bathroom mirror three times (pun intended).

Hocus Pocus 

Evil witch sisters on the loose – what could be more Halloween-ish? These witches came prepared to cause trouble, but there’s a teenage girl ready to put an end to it. Talk about girl power.

The Haunted Mansion 

In this Disney movie, a not so smart realtor, Eddie Murphy, takes his family to a haunted mansion in hopes of selling it, that also happens to be cursed, without him being aware of any of this. A hilarious movie with a lesson thrown in the middle makes this a must watch this season.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown 

We cannot go through a holiday without watching the corresponding Charlie Brown special. Check out the gang in this Halloween inspired adventure.

Halloween 

Who can forget about the serial killer, Michael Myers. I’m sure you know his theme music by heart. Halloween has several installments and it would not be right to check out at least one this season when you are in need of a scare. It cannot get any scarier than the classic killer himself.

There you have it. Grab the Halloween themed sugar cookies, a blanket and submerge yourself in any of these classics. Remember to be safe this Halloween. Happy watching!

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.