#ThatAwkwardMoment: Elevator Embarrassment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

So this week, I am going to have to withhold from telling you my own embarrassing story, because my friend had the weirdest encounter ever. It just needs to be shared with all of you wonderful Her Campus readers.

As many of you Hoyas know, the elevators around campus are not the most reliable and people are always getting stuck in them. You just do not feel safe when the elevator is rattling and creaking or going at 0.5 mph. Well, my friend managed to combine the bad luck of the elevators with her own bad luck and created a very awkward moment. For the sake of saving my friend from more embarrassment, I am going to call her Sarah. As Sarah was walking into her dorm, she saw that the elevator door was about to close and rushed to catch it. Sarah kicked her leg out at the last second to stop the door and was successful. The problem with the whole situation is that her foot actually got caught in the elevator door. Like actually stuck-stuck; her leg was parallel to the ground and it was jammed between the side of the elevator and the door. Why Sarah decided to stick her foot out instead of her hand is beyond me, but she did.

There was a guy inside the elevator whom Sarah could not see, but he was trying to hit the door open button with no results. Sarah was saying, “Are you pressing the button?” to which elevator man was saying, “Yes I have been pushing the button and I have no idea why it is not working.” So, this poor guy was just trying to take a simple elevator ride and ended up having to deal with Sarah and her foot for an entirety of five minutes. When you think about it, having your foot stuck in an elevator door five minutes is quite a long time. Sarah and the elevator man were getting a little awkward, because elevator man was starting to get pissed and Sarah didn’t know what to do. Sarah was stretching with her foot still stuck, trying to reach the elevator button on the outside, but that did nothing. Finally, Sarah heard a loud boom as elevator man full out kicked the elevator door and it FINALLY opened. So after this wacky incident, Sarah gets into the elevator to find elevator man to be the really hot guy, with the GORGEOUS blue eyes, that lives on the floor above her. He said absolutely nothing to her for the rest of the elevator ride and I am sure that my friend will never make eye contact with those blue beauties, again.

So gals, the next time you are on a boring elevator ride, think about Sarah and her foot fiasco and have a little laugh. Because E.E. Cummings once said, “The most wasted of all days is one with out laughter,” so I am here for you, to make you laugh even with elevators. 

Photo Source: 
Here

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!