This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

In the past few years, nail polish has become the ultimate accessory. Long gone are the days when girls would go around with bare nails, and if you spot them now, I’m sure it’s intentional. Nail polish is a great way to spice up your outfit, especially when your wardrobe consists of mostly basic pieces (Exhibit A: my all black and white closet #newyorkproblems). No matter where you’re going, remember to never let your nails go undone. Check out some of my polish ideas for specific occasions below!

Everyday:

Go for a classic color that can go with anything, so you’ll never have to worry about your nails clashing with your clothes. I always go with a dark red (my personal favorite is “Bordeaux” by Essie), but any other subdued color such as dark purple, brown, grey, and even a light pink will work too.

[pagebreak]

Night Out:

When you’ve been locked in your own personal study dungeon in sweatpants for a week, a night out with your girlfriends is a perfect excuse to get out of your rut and glam it up. Give your nails some edge and fun by trying an all out metallic look such as “Wallis” by Butter or just add a glitter topcoat to one of the classic everyday colors mentioned above!

[pagebreak]

Music Festival/Rave:

An electronic music festival or glow-in-the-dark party maybe the only times you’ll see me sporting neon, even if it’s in the most minimal form (I. just. can’t. do. it.). Take a risk with your mani and then go crazy when you see it light up under black lights or when it matches your hot pink fanny pack. Check out OPI’s newest collection “Neon Revolution”!

[pagebreak]

Sports Games:

Show off your spirit by donning your school’s (or favorite sport’s team’s) official colors. This way you can admire your coordinated nails when you’re bored with the game! For Georgetown specifically, I recommend alternating between Hoya Blue and Saxa Grey with OPI’s “I Saw… U Saw… We Saw… Warsaw” and Essie’s classic “Chinchilly.”

[pagebreak]

Themed Parties/Fun:

Whether it’s Halloween, and you want to go above and beyond with your cheetah costume, or you are tired of your typical solid color, cool patterned nail stickers are the way to go. They are a lot less expensive than getting actual nail art painted on by a professional at a salon and last longer than regular polish. Sally Hansen’s “Salon Effects Real Nail Polish Strips” come in so many different colors and designs, the hardest part is picking one out!

I hope you enjoyed my guide, and next time you pick out what to wear, keep your nails in mind!

P.S. Despite my true commitment (and borderline addiction…) to manicures, they can easily ruin your nails, so be sure to keep your nails healthy by always using a base coat and never getting gel manicures.