Have No Fear, Lulu is Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

For those of you who loved the Tinder craze, there’s a new app in town: Lulu. Tinder was very simple, and allowed you to swipe through guys within a certain radius of your location, and it drew potential matches from Facebook, so that it would come up with people you may already know. However, unlike Tinder, this new app is just for girls, and allows you to both read and write reviews of guys in a variety of different categories. I had only heard snippets here and there about it and became really curious about it. So, for the purposes of this post, I downloaded it to see what all the fuss was about. Here’s how it works:

When you open the app, Lulu makes certain that you know everything that you do in the app is completely anonymous. You don’t have to worry about those embarrassing wall posts (i.e. Alex just harvested her crops on Farmville!) that make you wish you never downloaded that silly, addictive little game. Lulu is for girls, by girls, and what happens on Lulu stays there.

After logging in to Facebook through Lulu, you get an email confirming your download and (slightly) mocking you for taking the plunge, which says:

Hey Alex,

Welcome to Lulu, you naughty little minx! Now remember, you are always anonymous on Lulu so go check out some boys

Cheers,
Lulu

The app is pretty easy to use, and it lets you “favorite” guys that you may be interested in by pressing the little star icon. Lulu will keep you posted on these guys, and if someone writes a new review, the app notifies you so you can check it out. It has a handy little search feature at the top, so you can type in specific names if you have someone in mind, or you can have the app find them for you. When you click on a guy to view his profile, there are three main stats: average score, number of times he’s been “favorited,” and the number of views. You can even “share” the guy you’re looking at with friends of yours who use the app.

The best part in my opinion is the hashtags feature. Guy is really sweet? #TeddyBear. You’ve been friendzoned? #JustFriends. He goes out all the time? #LifeOfTheParty. The app may not be as streamlined as Tinder, but Lulu goes all out, with numeric ratings telling you how each guy is in terms of humor, appearance, manners, ambition, etc. I’m sure there will be a new app next month that everyone obsesses over, but for now, Lulu is taking over. So, ladies, if you’re sick of searching for that special guy at some random house party or bar, Lulu may be just what you’ve been waiting for. You may finally find that boy who’s #SweetToMom and #RespectsWomen without resorting to a sad post on Georgetown Confessions about how you can’t work up the courage to talk to him. Happy Luluing! 

Julia Matin

Georgetown

Julia Matin is a senior at Georgetown University, studying English and Government. She is Vice President of Human Resources at the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union, the largest student-run financial institution in the country. Her interests include writing, lacrosse, field hockey, and skiing. Julia is thrilled to be co-founding the Georgetown branch of Her Campus with Catherine Murphy!