Going Greek at Georgetown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Some of us come into college with a dream of being in a sorority and experiencing all that Greek life has to offer. When I first decided to attend Georgetown, I was under the misconception that there was no Greek scene.

However, I soon learned that there are a variety of ways to get involved with a sorority or fraternity on campus. Some organizations are school sponsored and are represented by Greek letters, but usually have a professional purpose. 

For those looking for a more traditional sorority experience, Georgetown has two social sororities: Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta. Although they are not officially sponsored by the school, Georgetown’s social sororities are still recognized by the National Panhellenic Conference. Since the sororities are not school sponsored, there is no traditional sorority house and rush is very different compared with schools that have a strong Greek presence. 

Here is a little more about my rush experience at Georgetown:

Pre-Recruitment

Expect to fill out a recruitment survey with questions regarding your biographical information, GPA, and extracurricular activities. There is also a $5 fee to participate, which is very inexpensive compared with recruitment fees at many schools.

Day 1 (Open house round)

During the open house round, girls have the opportunity to get to know current members of each sorority. Dress is casual and the environment is friendly and welcoming. Each sorority has a designated classroom where the round takes place.

Day 2 (Invitation round)

On day 2, girls are invited back to either one or both of the sororities and have the chance to learn about each sorority’s philanthropy. Dress is slightly more formal (think something you would wear to dinner with your parents) and the rounds take place in the sorority’s designated classroom.

Day 3 (Preference round)

Again, girls are invited to either one or both of the sororities and have the chance to learn about the values of the sorority and what makes each sorority so unique. Current members share their experiences and make each potential member feel welcome with special rituals. Cocktail attire is required and the events take place in a designated classroom. At the end of the rounds, girls vote on which sorority they liked best.

Bid Day

Each girl is given a bid (an official invitation) to either Kappa or Theta. The good news is that every girl receives a bid, which fosters the inclusive environment that Georgetown’s Greek scene seeks to promote.

Going Greek at Georgetown is an amazing way to meet new people, network, give back, and be a part of something bigger than yourself!