The Freshman 15: Firsts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Coming to Georgetown University has been an incredible experience so far, and here are just a few firsts that I’ve experienced in the past month or so.

1.     Going to Lau for the first time on a Friday night. Granted it was for a dance party, but still, it counts.

2.     After one week of Leo’s and desperately seeking other options.

3.     Experiencing Sweetgreen and realizing that the salad game has been changed forever.

4.     Realizing that the amount of cardio you’ve been doing per day has increased significantly because of all the steps on campus. (It’s called the Hilltop for a reason.)

5.     Eating your first Einstein Bros bagel and nearly crying from happiness because they taste better than the ones at Leo’s and are comparable to New York bagels. (I’m severely prejudiced; Long Island bagels cannot be beaten.)

6.     Buying your first coffee from The Corp and marveling at how a caffeinated beverage can taste that delicious. (I strongly recommend the Eleanor Rigby.)

7.     The application and interview process for the plethora of clubs/activities/organizations/modern-day cults (in the best way possible) that Georgetown has to offer. Completely stressful at first, but entirely worth it in the end.

8.     Getting your first good grade on a paper and thinking that your four years of high school learning how to properly write a thesis statement finally gave you a purpose in life.

9.     Ordering anything you want online to your new shipping address so your parents, although they foot the bill, aren’t aware of your Forever 21 shoe addiction or your Amazon wishlist. (Seriously, thank God for Prime.)

10. Going to your first Village A party and experiencing the rooftop for the first of many parties that semester.

11. Turning up with your orientation group. (It’s never NSOver!)

12. Feeling productive by going to Yates without having anyone force you. (Okay, maybe your roommate bribed you with food. It still counts as your achievement.)

13. Your first dinner that consists of large amounts of sodium and is eaten standing up. (Cup Noodles, I’m talking about you.)

14. Using more Flex Dollars than you thought possible within a one-week span.

15. AND FINALLY, FINALLY, LEARNING TO EMBRACE COLLEGE AND EVERYTHING THAT COMES ALONG WITH IT. 

Harvard '18
Lacey Henry

Georgetown