Fitz Holladay and wego concerts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.
On March 31st you may have joined a secret and exclusive event on campus; wego concerts held their first secret concert in D.C. at Georgetown. We spoke with Fitz Holladay, the founder of wego concerts to learn more about the company and his passion fo rlive music.

1. What is wego concerts? 
[wego concerts is] a social live music app that helps people discover concerts and connect with other people going to those concerts. We’re excited to release the new version of the app publicly in the next month.

2. What motivated you to start the company? 
I lived in NYC for 5 years and had a large network of friends who went to concerts with me.  When I moved back to DC, I was constantly struggling to find people who were into the same concerts as I was. I found that there were actually many others out there like me, so the idea was from my own social needs! 

3. What is Sofar Sounds?
A global live music community putting on secret shows in intimate spaces with a focus on a mutual respect between the audience and the artist.

4. What inspired you to found the company? 
*I am the Director of Sofar Sounds in Washington, DC. The company was founded in London in 2010 by Rafe Offer and Rocky Start. Sofar is in over 240 cities around the world, and each city is led by passionate music-lovers.

5. How did you come up with the name of wego concerts?
We wanted a name that was a reflection of what the app is; “social and fun”  and can have multiple meanings around a common meaning.  We go to concerts! 

6. Why did you choose to work in the music/entertainment industry? 
I’ve always been passionate about music, and starting in college became even more passionate about live music. The landscape of the music industry is changing constantly, and I believe this is a great time to get involved.

7. What is the most challenging part of working in the industry? 
The constantly changing landscape for ticket platforms and the over saturation of music related applications.

8. Do you have any advice for students who want to work in the entertainment/music industry? 
I would advise students to be passionate, patient, and to work hard.  So many people are passionate about music, so there is a lot of competition and often times low pay/salary for entry level positions.   

9. Who is your favorite artist that you have worked with?
That’s difficult!  We’ve worked with so many incredible artists. Some of the artists that stand out to me as having been wonderful to work with (positive, talented, humble and personable) are: POWERS, Misun and Lemaitre.  

10. Who are you favorite artists?
All time: Beatles, Led Zeppelin  
Active:  Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem

Sarah Guan

Georgetown