Reddit Therapy: Tips For Finding Your Perfect SubReddit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I love Reddit. It’s my biggest problematic favorite. However, it isn’t always the worst website on the internet believe it or not! There are golden nuggets hidden all around this site that are absolutely worth the time you’ll need to spend finding them. Once you discover a hidden treasure of a subReddit, you will rejoice and welcome the Reddit rabbit hole you will find yourself falling down. Are you ready, Alice? Because here are some tips to finding your very own wonderland on Reddit!

First of all, think about fandoms that you enjoy. Are you a huge fan of RuPaul’s Drag Race? There’s a Reddit for that (as long as you a prepared for spoilers)! Maybe you prefer Magic The Gathering, Doctor Who, The Bachelor, or Five Nights at Freddy’s. There are subReddits for all of those and more. I got it, you like YouTubers, well there are subReddits for them too! Philip Defranco has a wildly active subReddit, Jenna Marbles has one, and even Tyler Oakley has a subReddit. Nevertheless, before you jump into reading all the latest posts on any of these subReddits, I recommend that you stay away from any subReddit that ends in “Circle Jerk.” The Magic The Gathering Circle Jerk subReddit is very different from the Magic The Gathering subReddit. Usually the ones that end in “Circle Jerk” are full of inside jokes that are often offensive and not funny if you aren’t deeply invested in that subReddit.

My second tip for finding your perfect subReddit is to think of activities that you like! This may seem intuitive, but it took me a really long time to realize that there might be a subReddit for juggling. I was a part of every circus arts subReddit, but it completely slipped my mind that juggling might have its own subReddit. So think of things that you like to do such as juggling, playing softball or doing math problems. There is a subReddit for all of those! However, they aren’t always the most active subReddits. My tip for these subReddits is to make them active! If you start making posts, people will eventually come back to the subReddit.

Tip number three for finding the subReddit for you is to think of your future or current career. You might think that you don’t want to spend time online talking to people who have the same career or prospective career as you, but you’re wrong. The subReddits for careers such as teachers and nurses are a great place to ask advice, give advice or to joke about your career! I am a future teacher, and I love all the funny stories and jokes that people post in the teachers subReddit. So don’t ignore the career subReddits until you try them!

If you want people to talk to, this fourth tip is for you! When looking for friends on Reddit, you should think about what kind of people you want to talk to. If you are interested in talking over email or snail mail, something like r/PenPals might be right for you. However, look out for really specific subReddits. If you are over 30 and looking for an email or snail mail penpal, there is r/PenPalsOver30. Looking for a friend to play video games with? There is a subReddit for any person looking to play any video game with people, but there is also a subReddit for people specifically looking to play League of Legends with other people. Don’t be afraid to get specific with your subReddit searching! While meeting people online can be fun, make sure that you never give out your personal information to anyone! Even if you are looking for a penpal, I highly recommend that you only give out you mailing address if it’s a P.O. box. Always remember to protect yourself online.

Lastly, my fifth tip is to try the subReddits that are huge. Your post might not be very popular if you’re posting to a subReddit as big as r/aww or r/TodayILearned, but you will be able to spend hours reading and commenting on other posts in those subReddits! Make sure that you give the massive subReddits a chance. They are popular for a reason!

Has this article not helped you find the exact kind of subReddit you are looking for? Well, here is a bonus seventh tip. Make the subReddit you want to see! It might take an annoyingly long amount of time for it to get any popularity, but if you continue posting anyway, it will gain momentum! Good luck finding the golden nuggets of Reddit, and I hope this article helped!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.