MadelineSuperFan: When a Joke Takes on a Life of Its Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

What do I say about MadelineSuperFan? Well, I created this Instagram at the beginning of fall semester my sophomore year, and it’s bigger than just me now. This Instagram account has come to mean something more than what I intended. It all started with the legend, Madeline. Madeline is photogenic, and she knows it. She has always liked commemorating memories with photographs—specifically photographs with her in them.

So I did what any good friend would do, and I made it into a running joke between our friend group. We were always taking pictures of Madeline, and she would always ask us to send them to her. On one fateful day, September 2nd 2017, I noticed that I had a plethora pictures of Madeline on my phone. I had joked to Madeline that she needed her own Instagram, but on that day I created one for her. A super fan account where I could upload all the pictures I had of Madeline for all of her super fans to enjoy.

It wasn’t popular at first, but every time I saw one of my friends I encouraged them to follow it.  And by encourage, I mean I pestered them until they followed MadelineSuperFan. After a while, MadelineSuperFan began to take off. It began to gain popularity, and people started telling me that they look forward to waking up and checking MadelineSuperFan. The silly captions and pictures of Madeline just being herself gives her followers something to smile about.

Today MadelineSuperFan has 75 followers and over 245 posts. If you ever need a rabbit hole to fall down while procrastinating, go follow the Instagram and like every photo! That should help you procrastinate for a very long time. You might even find yourself becoming a fellow Madeline super fan!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.