This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

As an avid reader, I have inhaled book after book after book filled with words. Some claimed a hard-won favorite book slot while others simply sat on the back burner. No matter what book I call my favorite at that moment, others always stay with me. Each book teaches its reader a unique lesson that leaves a permanent mark. The books below are the ones that have always stuck with me—no matter how old I was when I read them.

1.    The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

I began this fantasy series in high school. The minute I started the first book, I knew I would be hooked into the Shadowhunter world—and this thought became reality. I devoured all the Shadowhunter novels, and I am still waiting for the next one (Queen of Air and Darkness better come soon). These novels taught me to keep trying even when things get rough. No matter what new conflict Clare throws at her characters, they always keep fighting until the end. These novels are full of strength and passion; two characteristics that every person needs.

2.    Chicken Soup for the Girl’s Soul by Jack Canfield, Irene Dunlap, Mark Victor Hansen and Patty Hansen

This book was given to me by my cousin and it became my go-to novel for all things girl. The Chicken Soup franchise produces novels for children, preteens, teens, and adults for every stage of life. They are full of short narratives written by ordinary people. Although I have read many of them, this one stuck with me because it is written by girls of all ages about all topics from first crushes to puberty to loss. Each story has its own lesson to take away from it, whether it is to shrug off the haters or appreciate the little things in life. The most important part is that they are relatable; they are real stories by real people.

3.    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I’ve read this book twice—once in middle school and once again in tenth grade. Both times I was struck by how powerful it is. One would think it is just a story about a simple girl who learns to read, but it is about much more than that. I have always believed that words are the most powerful weapon a person could wield, and this book proves this point over and over again. This book also makes me want to be brave enough to stand up against the oppression of others. It is a must read.

4.    The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

During Shakespeare’s time, women were nothing. But that is why when I read this comedy my senior year of high school, I instantly loved it. Shakespeare creates strong female characters that often go against the wishes of men. This play is a standout to me because it shows the world that women can be powerful. It also addresses anti-Semitism, which is still an ongoing issue in the world today. It never ceases to amaze me how ahead of his time Shakespeare truly was.

5.    The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Although this is another book I read later in my life, I instantly connected with this controversial novel. The books is one of the first to really dig deep into the turmoils of being a teenager without any restraint. The reader experiences all of Holden’s emotions, and we see that adolescence is not

all sunshine and rainbows. It is raw and powerful. People often do not like this book because of Holden’s eccentric behavior, but that is what makes the novel relatable. Teenagers are not meant to be perfect, especially after experiencing trauma and tragedy like Holden. Holden is an example to all of us that it is okay not to be okay.

6.    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The unrequited love of Jay Gatsby was the selling point for me. Gatsby did so much to show Daisy that he loved her. Although many argue that it is borderline creepy, Gatsby’s love is strong enough to withstand anything. His love symbolizes the American dream; he never stops working to try and achieve his goal. Gatsby brings out the romantics and dreamers in everyone as we secretly hope that Daisy ditches Tom. Everyone who has ever dreamed can connect to Gatsby. There is also Nick, who searches for meaning in life as he tries to find his dream. The two juxtaposing characters give you hope of finding something meaningful enough to fight for in your life.

7.    The Harry Potter Series

The magical words of J.K. Rowling will always be one of my all-time favorite book series. Like many other 11-year-olds, I found myself yearning for the day I would receive my Hogwarts letter. I wanted to take potions with Snape and transfiguration with McGonagall. I wanted to ride a broomstick with Harry, study with Hermione, and eat lots of food with Ron. I wanted to be a part of the strongest friendship I have ever read about. The power of friendship is one of the main points that always struck me about these books. J.K. Rowling not only wrote about magic; she is magic. She was strong enough to keep trying and get the books published even after she was rejected by many publishers. It was more than just the Harry Potter books that inspired me; it was J.K. Rowling.

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Rebecca was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Geneseo. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in English (Creative Writing) and Communication. Rebecca was also the Copy Editor for the student newspaper The Lamron, Co-Managing Editor of Gandy Dancer, a Career Peer Mentor in the Department of Career Development, a Reader for The Masters Review, and a member of OGX dance club on campus. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @Becca_Willie04!
Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.