alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Failures Do Not Define You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

It is so easy to get knocked down when something does not go the way you were hoping. Life can easily knock us off our course, but you can either stand back up, learn from it and move on, or you can let it control you. Your failures do not determine who you are, they are not part of you, they simply help you grow and learn. 

As humans, we spend so much time thinking about and criticizing ourselves for the things that we have done wrong or things that have happened to us. In reality, those things are not a big deal and we exaggerate them to make them seem bigger than they actually are.  Philippians 3:13-14 (NIV) states “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” 

The Bible tells us to let go of the things from the past and to focus on what our future holds because there are greater things ahead.  You can only imagine what your future holds, and you will be given all you have dreamed of and more if you simply stay positive. Focus on the present and the future, and let go of the past and trust in the Lord. 

If you focus on the present and on bettering yourself, then you will be much happier. Focusing on the past and the negative things that have happened to you and living in fear of repeating those mistakes or failures will only bring you down in life. 

Surround yourself with positive people who help build you up. These are those people that are healthy for your mental well-being. Get rid of toxic relationships. Let people go that are unhealthy to be around and are emotionally damaging. These people will only bring you down, keep you from living your best life, and from what you need to do to be successful. It can be really hard to let some toxic relationships go, especially if you have known the person for a long time or have been friends with them since you were young. This does not mean that it can’t be done. It may hurt at first, but over time it will get easier.  Think of the mistakes you made and your failures as a lesson rather than a setback. If you reflect on it and learn from it, you will most likely grow, become a better person, and know how to avoid those mistakes in the future. You will become a better person if you change your mindset and decide that you want to think of your mistakes as lessons. However, this is a choice you have to make, and it is not always an easy decision. It is a choice to not let your failures and mistakes become part of you. Choose to learn from your mistakes and let things go.    

Image: https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1440&bih=781&tbm=isch&sa=1…

I am a Junior and an English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing major with a minor in Business at Grand Canyon University. I write to inspire and spread positivity to others. I love spending my time in coffee shops, writing and drinking coffee. Im just a simple girl trying to figure out life, give my best advice and share my experiences along the way.