Book Review: Uninvited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Lysa TerKeurst explains, “there is something wonderfully sacred that happens when a girl chooses to realize that being set aside is actually God’s call for her to be set apart.” Uninvited examines the depths of rejection and explains how God is present when we are feeling left out, lonely or less than. God has created everyone to be unique; when we are set aside from something, we are actually taking a bold action to be set apart from people who are like-minded.

She teaches her audience about the importance of turning to God when they are hurting, instead of blaming him for what has happened. To restore your soul and re-gain confidence, Lysa has mapped out a list of ten helpful prayers. These are beneficial to read when you or a friend is hurting. “With you, Jesus, I’m forever safe. I’m forever accepted. I’m forever held. Completely loved and always invited in.” In life there are going to be times where we are going to experience rejection, and that rejection will hurt. Within the midst of these trials, it is easy to forget about God’s grace. However, we must remember that no matter what we are experiencing in the flesh, God will always invite us in and embrace us with his perfect love.

“The beliefs we hold should hold us up even when life feels like it’s falling apart”. There is nothing too much going on in our lives that Jesus cannot handle. Growing up as an outcast was never easy, but when I found Jesus, he was able to outcaste my fears and my anxiety. This is how Lysa felt when she was in a room full of people who were all talking and she felt alone. She felt alone because she had minimal similarities with people. When she takes her uneasiness and turns to God for guidance, there is usually some element of protection wrapped in every rejection”. God protects our rejections because he knows that there is something better for us later in time. For example, during a break up, it might feel as if your world is torn apart, but know that God has your future planned out and it will be worth the wait.

This is a book that you simply cannot put down. Lysa does an outstanding job of making her personal experiences relatable. From a difficult childhood to hysterically awkward moments, this novel will bring you on a roller coaster of emotions. Her wisdom throughout the book is reliable and memorable. It acts as a guide when you are feeling unsteady and defeated by what the world has to offer. Time and time again I pick this book up to join Lysa throughout her beautiful journey. She is honest, selfless and vulnerable, which makes this #1 New York Times bestseller so relatable.  

Abbie Carnes is a Junior at Grand Canyon University. She is an elementary education major and believes that learning is the key to success. She has a strong passion for writing, drawing, reading, and music. Even with her strong tendency to wander, God always directs her paths towards his goodness.
Fourth year Communications major who cares deeply about skin care and Harry Styles.