Top 3 Female Artists / New Albums to Listen to!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Lana Del Rey: Honeymoon

Halsey: BADLANDS

Melanie Martinez: Cry Baby

Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, known by her stage name, Lana Del Rey, has recently released her newest album, Honeymoon. Honeymoon is the fourth studio album and third major-label record for Lana Del Rey and was released on September 18th! This strikingly gorgeous 30-year-old female artist has yet to disappoint her fans. Her music can be considered as indie, indie pop, dream pop and psychedelic rock, according to Google, and is considered under the alternative genre on iTunes. One thing is for sure, this artist sings in such a way that sets her apart from any other female singer in her genre. Her ability to effortlessly hit high notes and perform flawlessly live, emits chills. She is a powerful role model for several young women and is incredibly genuine and loving to her fans! Honeymoon is comprised of soft, elegant music that speaks directly to the soul. Similar to her past albums, Honeymoon follows a strict theme, thus making her albums all unique. Several music critics commended Honeymoon for its percieved consistensy and timelessness, while praising her vocal delivery. 

Another amazing female artist is Halsey, a 20-year-old singer/songwriter whose new album, BADLANDS is sweeping the charts. Similar to Lana Del Rey, Halsey is this artist’s stage name, while Ashley Nicolette Frangipane is her given name. Halsey’s music is classified as indie pop and BADLANDS is one of my personal favorite albums to listen to at the moment. This young artist is intimidating, fierce and has such an unbelievably strong voice and unique sound. The songs on this album are all well rounded, with amazing lyrics, strong music, and a catchy rhythm. Halsey can be considered as an “up and coming” artist and should definitely be listened to and commended on this album!

This “out of the box” 20-year-old singer Melanie Martinez debuted on The Voice!. She is most commonly known as “the girl with two colored hair” since her hair is most commonly styled with the color split directly down the middle and fashioned with two separate vibrant colors, or most famously, black and bleach blonde when she first sang on The Voice!. Melanie’s audition in 2014 went viral as she sang “Toxic” by Britney Spears with a soft indie approach. Melanie sang “Toxic” while playing an acoustic guitar and beating a tambourine in-between her feet while she sang. She went Team Adam and rose to the top during The Voice!, but not high enough. She did not win, but continued to work tirelessly on her music career and has built an incredible reputation and image for herself. She has a softer voice with a unique sound that I personally have never heard before. Her new album, Cry Baby, has a set of songs that are named after seemingly innocent things; such as, “Mrs. Potato Head”, “Alphabet Boy”, “Cry Baby”, “Sippy Cup”, etc. and utilizes these soft and innocent titles to her benefit while singing about stronger topics and battles that young women in today’s society face. Melanie did an outstanding job marketing this album and went all out with her photo-shoots and outfits, matching everything to the Cry Baby theme. The intense passion and drive that I see in Melanie Martinez is similar to that of Katy Perry when she had launched her CandyLand inspired album/tour. I truly hope Melanie rises that high one day and with her passion and stron ethic, I think she just might!

If you’re an indie pop/indie rock fan, you should definitely check out these three amazing artists!

If I were to suggest one song from each album if you’ve never listened to these artists before; Lana Del Rey: “Honeymoon”, Halsey: “Colors”, Melanie Martinez: “Pity Party.”

Lauren Clark is a Marketing major & Management minor at Georgia College & State University. She consideres herself a social media/PR addict, yoga lover and avid reader. She created her own photography business (www.facebook.com/LaurenClarkPhotography) and has an incredible passion for capturing moments. You can find her obsessing over Lana Del Rey or just music in general.  She loves Netflix (who doesn't?), Harry Potter, Grey's Anatomy, and is obsessed with Gilmore Girls. She hopes to work in the Marketing, Public Relations or Advertising industry after graduation. You can find her Instagramming: @laurennclarkk, tweeting: @laurennnclarkkx (there are too many Lauren Clarks in this world), Networking: (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lauren-h-clark/b9/9b7/61) and blogging at www.getbackupagain.tumblr.com!