Six Oscar Winning Films To Watch On Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

The greatest televised event is happening in February, and no I’m not talking about the Super Bowl. The Academy Awards will take place February 22nd. From The Grand Budapest Hotel to the 12 years in the making Boyhood, there are many contenders to get excited about. In the spirit of celebrating what is arguably the greatest form of art, I’ve compiled some suggestions of Oscar winning movies that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own computer thanks to Netflix. 

Beginners (2010)

This quirky and lighthearted film centers on a son who comes to find out that his elderly and dying father is gay. Flying under the radar for mainstream audiences, it earned Christopher Plummer (AKA the dad from The Sound of Music) an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, giving him the distinction of being the oldest person to ever win an Oscar. 

Annie Hall (1977)

Arguably the most popular Woody Allen film, Annie Hall paved a path for movies to incorporate dry, witty humor and is distinct for  the scenes where Allen breaks the fourth wall and addresses the audience. Winning Best Picture and garnering a Best Actress win for Diane Keaton, this movie incpires not only movie buffs but fashion mavens; Keaton used her own wardrobe and started the ever popular menswear for women trend. 

Silence of the Lambs  (1991) 

Part psychological thriller, part horror movie, Silence of the Lambs will simultaneously have you at the edge of the seat and covering your eyes. It follows FBI trainee, Clarice Sterling as she picks the brain of a genius cannibal, Hannibal Lecter. This film is phenomenal, earning Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor, and Best Director. Even so, it isn’t for the faint of heart. You may want to watch this on a nice weekend afternoon if you are easily frightened. Watching the edited television version isn’t a bad idea either. 

The Hours  (2002)

This is in my opinion one of the greatest films ever made. Centering on the the paralleled lives of three women who have all been affected by depression, it can simply be described as beautiful. Each leading actress, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, and Nicole Kidman (who won for Best Actress) gave the performance of a lifetime. Once you watch a film this spectacular, you will never want to go near a romantic comedy again. 

All About Eve  (1950) 

A quintessential movie for any film buff, All About Eve  looks into the cutthroat world of acting. The most nominated film until Titanic, it won for Best Picture among six other awards. Rumor has it that neither leading actress (Bette Davis and Anne Baxter) won because voters simply couldn’t choose between the two. This classic movie is one that everyone should see at least once. Be on the lookout for a young Marilyn Monroe. 

Ordinary People  (1980)

Winning for Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor for Timothy Hutton, it centers on a seemingly perfect, wealthy family as they deal with the grief of losing one of their sons. You will really need a tissue box ready for this one. On second thought, don’t even watch it. It will give you more emotions than The Fault in Our Stars. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Lover of iced coffee and all things cheetah print. Just a city girl living in a small town college world.