One More Year: An Interview with SGA President, Juawn Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Juawn Jackson is involved in everything.  He cares so much about the student body.  As SGA president I thought it would be great to sit down and interview him and discuss his great achievments.  

Shown above is Juawn as he discusses concerns and comments with students.

1) How long have you been involved with SGA and other political programs like this?

I have been involved in SGA at Georgia College since my Freshman year when I was elected as a senator. However, I first got involved in political organizations like SGA in the second grade when I was elected as a class representative on our Student Council. It was then that I knew that I had a spirit for helping others and over time I have developed a passion for service.

2) What made you run for president?

I decided to run for president last year because I was tired of hearing excuses for why we couldn’t advance certain student interests. I’m an actionable person. I like to see a problem and develop a path forward to solving that particular issue which can be accomplished by building relationships and collaborations with those in certain positions. What some may see as a road block, I see as an opportunity to forge an actionable plan to get rid of roadblocks. 

3)How has your term been this year. What were some accomplishments?

My term has been very productive. We have developed a prioritization plan of our mandatory student fees and have developed ways to decrease student fees and refocus funding on activities and opportunities that our students would rather see. Additionally, I am proud of our efforts to find alternative transportation methods such as funding SNAP to run seven nights a week, continuing the funding of the Late Night Shuttle and in the Fall of 2015 we will be debuting a Bike Share Program where students can rent bikes from various locations on campus to use for their leisure. I’m so excited for the future opportunities that awaits our student body, but it takes a leader with a vision and passion and I have just that.

4) Have any plans to rerun?

I’m deciding to run for president for a second term because under my leadership, we have soared to new heights in the Student Government Association, getting the work of the students done and for the projects that we have pending, it’s going to take steady leadership.  It’s going to take a leader who is going to be ready on day one!

5) What do you want to accomplish during this last term?

Well, I want to finish the job that the students have already elected me to do. A lot our projects take careful planning to ensure that the implementation and customer satisfaction is positive so in my second term, I would like to finish major projects like finding a donor to erect an amphitheater on campus without using student dollars, starting up the Bike Share program and push through our plan to decrease student fees and make college more affordable. We also have to develop a plan to upgrade our intramural fields and I plan to do just that in a second term.

6) What are you most excited about?

I am most excited about continue to provide service to students. I enjoy cutting through red tape our in our case “blue and green” tape to open up new opportunities for my fellow students.

7)When will you be debating on topics prior to election?

I believe the debate is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 17th. I am excited about sharing and comparing my clear, unwavering record with my opponent. 

8) When is election?

Voting will begin at 12 Midnight on Tuesday, Feb. 17th and will go on until Thursday, Feb. 19th. Everyone will receive an email with instructions on how to vote from Campus Life on Tuesday night of Homecoming Week.

9 )Anything else you want to say?

I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to serve as SGA president. It’s a job that shouldn’t be taken lightly. I am also grateful for the outpour of support from the campus community as I seek reelection. Let’s continue to take action on issues that matters the most to our student body and re-elect me so that I can continue to serve you.

JJ Jackson is also involved with 4-H and travels to meet and inform 4-H clubs as well as leadership conferences.  He is also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha.