Mary Kate Conner: A Woman on a Mission!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

This week we had the privelage of interviewing someone who we know embodies women empowerment. Mary Kate is the definition of strong and hardworking.  Searching for some of the inner-strength for ourselves, we looked forward to the chance to pick her brain for ideas.

Her Campus: What are you majoring in at Georgia College and want to do after school for a career?

Mary Kate Connor: I’m a sophomore mass communication major. I want to be a journalist, specifically covering arts and culture. My dream job is to work in the arts section for the New York Times. As long as I’m writing, though, I’ll be happy. 

HC: How are you involved at Georgia College?

MKC: I’m currently involved as the Arts and Entertainment editor of The Colonnade, a student ambassador and tour guide, a member of the honors program and Campus Catholics, and I work part-time in the admissions office.

HC: What does a day in the life of Mary Kate look like?

MKC: Every day is totally different for me – I’m usually at work in the mornings, either in The Colonnade office, admissions office or on a tour, and afterwards I’ll go to lunch with my friends before going to classes in the afternoons. In the evenings, I usually have meetings for different  organizations and then dinner at some point and later on I’ll settle in to doing homework for what’s left of the day. 

HC: What are your plans for next year? What about 5 years from now?

MKC: For the next year, I’m just focused on getting my classes done and graduating on time. Don’t rush me! But I’m also planning on studying abroad in Italy sometime in the next year. And an internship would be nice. I don’t even want to know what the next five years will look like. Let’s just enjoy the present. HC: What’s one super exciting thing coming up for you?

MKC: Hopefully studying abroad in Italy either in the summer or fall.

HC: Fun question time. If you could only watch one tv show for the rest of your life what would it be? What about just one band?

MKC: Parks and Rec. No question! One of the funniest shows ever on tv. The Oh Hellos for a band. They’re my go-to when I’m down. And when I’m happy. So always?

HC: What’s the coolest thing or opportunity that has ever happened to you?

MKC: I got to meet some of the cast of SNL at 30 Rock in New York City this October, which was so crazy. I’m such a crazy-huge fan. But also all of New York was the coolest thing ever. 

HC: Do you have any advice to other girls who want to do something similar to you?

MKC: In terms of girls doing something like journalism, I would just say be passionate. That’s the only thing that keeps me motivated when it gets hard or frustrating, is how much I love writing and reporting. It’s tough and it’s competitive  and you just have to push yourself to keep getting better. In terms of being as busy as (I think) I am, make a map of what matters most, prioritize, and always make time for yourself and the important people in your life, because they’re the ones who’ll keep you sane. 

As a sophomore English major at Georgia College I enjoy books, coffee, theatre, and lipstick, the later maybe a little too much. I am always a sucker for a deal even if my bank account can't handle it. I am apart of swing dance, I am still in search for the perfect partner btw, a proud SuperWhoLock supporter and avid Buzzfeed reader. My car karaoke skills will amaze you as well as my expansive Pinterest account.