Jessy Dephillips: A Passionate and Sweet Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

If you’re one of the freshman who came to this school during the Fall of 2013 or spend any part of your week in the Herty science building, there’s a very good chance that you know who Jessy Dephillips is. If you don’t know who she is, my guess is that you have at least have seen her around campus (probably looking effortlessly chic, may I add). Jessy is a sophomore at Georgia College, who resides in Fayetteville when she’s not here at school. I had the pleasure of being her suitemate in Foundation Hall last year and I can honestly say that she is one of the most wonderful people I have gotten to know during my time here. Her curly red hair matched with her bubbly and always friendly personality makes her almost impossible to dislike. She’s one of those people who probably spends a majority of her walks to and from classes constantly waving and chatting with people that she knows.

When I asked people to give a word that they think describes her, the most commonly said adjectives were ones like “kind”, “hilarious”, “outgoing”, “extremely smart”, “motivated”, “involved”, and “just all-around a lovely and fun person to be around.” And she is in fact all of those things and more. Notorious for having her nose in a book studying, Jessy, a chemistry major, is extremely involved in the department that the school has here on campus. She is one of the most driven and hard-working people I have ever known, and despite her crazy and jam packed schedule, she never turns down the opportunity to help someone out (i.e. me, Freshman year with algebra). When I asked Jessy what interested her in the chemistry major, I was surprised when she told me that it wasn’t because it was an area that has always come easily to her. She chose the major because she “likes the idea of a challenge” and “wants to to be a pharmacist,” choosing to go to go the chemistry route of the biology route. She currently serves on the executive board for the Chemistry Club as it’s official photographer. For this position she goes to the club’s events and takes pictures for the archives. Her favorite part of being a chemistry major is the fact that it’s so small. She loves that everybody knows everyone, and appreciates that it’s “a family oriented environment” and that they are “all best friends.” She recently attended a four-day conference, held in Denver Colorado, for the American Chemical Society. Jessy and the rest of her research group went there to present their cancer research that they have been working hard on. They are working on a drug that will hopefully help with inflammation and counteract it in order to do things like prevent tumor growth. She describes the drug as something that would have less side effects than a treatment such as chemo.

While Jessy is doing great things in the academic world, she has many talents that extend outside of the classroom. Up until coming to school here, she was a competitive dancer for almost all of her life. She misses dancing greatly but says that it isn’t realistic to continue dance with all that is going on at this point in her life. She took a lot away from those years dancing, things that are still with her today. Her dancing past has had a great influence on her personal style today. Years of wearing performance costumes and days spent being critiqued have left her feeling fearless when it comes to fashion. She believes that she is now able to not worry about criticism when it comes to what she wears, as a great deal of competitive dancing involves being able to take constructive criticism. Dancing has also helped her become a great team player, which is especially helpful for her today, when she has to work in research groups. Her best advice for anyone considering majoring in chemistry?: “Don’t be afraid of the upperclassmen. We are here to help and we want to help. Also, be as involved as possible from the start so that you meet other teachers that you may have in later years.”

Favorite things: guacamole, the color black, winged eyeliner, sleeping, & going to the gym

Least favorite things: being sedentary and sunscreen (she’s allergic)