Internship Bootcamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you are freaking out about finding an internship and do not even know where to get started. Lucky for us, Georgia College is here to help. Starting the first week of March, GC will be hosting a variety of workshops showing us “internship dummies” everything we need to know about internships–from finding them to acting like a pro-intern. So, be sure you attend and get caught up on how to be the best of the best. Here is your itinerary for the week:

DAY 1: RESUME CON

In Lanier Hall 110 on March 2, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, the Career Center workers will be giving tips on resumes. Either stop by with your pre-made resume to receive corrections or come learn some tips for building the perfect resume to score you the perfect internship. To make it even better, the staff will be dressed up like your favorite superheroes, so trust me, you don’t want to miss it!

DAY 2: INTERN 101 WORKSHOP

On March 3 at 12:30 PM, be sure to join fellow students in the Innovation Station (the first floor of the library) to learn everything about your first day as an intern. This workshop will prepare you for the scary, but exciting, first day of your internship. You will learn what to expect from you superiors and how to get the most out of your internship. You will also learn how to bring professionalism into the workplace and handle situations gone wrong. The goal is to land you a big-girl-job when you’re done making a fantastic impression with your internship.

DAY 3: LINKEDIN FOR THE INTERNSHIP SEARCH

On March 4 at 12:00 PM in the Innovation Station, you will be learning how to use the social network, LinkedIn. Over 175 million workplaces, professionals and organizations use this as a networking resource. It is a great way to land you an internship, but only if you know how to properly use it. This workshop will show you how to create a profile and connect with professionals in order to build a network. It will also teach you to use alumni connections to find the perfect internship. This is a don’t-wanna-miss-day.

DAY 4: INTERNSHIP SEARCH WORKSHOP

At the Innovation Station on March 5 at 3:30 PM, you have the opportunity to learn everything you need to know about finding an internship. The Career Center Staff will show you things as simple as how to locate internships by using GC resources and social media. They will also teach the things that will land you the internship, such as how to stand out from other potential interns and how to properly approach future employers. 

DAY 5: HEAR IT FROM THE INTERNS

On the final day, March 5, at 12:00 PM you will get to hear from experienced interns. The location is Dogwood A&B (the third floor of Magnolia), and trust me, you won’t want to miss it. Students from Colleges of Arts & Sciences, Health Sciences, and Business will be telling all about their previous experiences as interns and what to expect and, more importantly, how they found them. This will be a great discussion and you’ll have the chance to get great advice from students who have been there and done that. 

If you are unsure about the future and get a pit in your stomach everytime you think about how you’re going to survive, you don’t want to miss this “mini internship bootcamp.” Make sure to be there to learn how to be the best of the best and score whatever internship you are after! 

Hi Her Campus readers! I'm a Senior Mass Communications major, Netflix fanatic and everything caramel-based lover. You can always find me hanging out with my friends, watching Grey's Anatomy, eating Barberitos or doing all three at the same time! I'm Social Media/Public Relations chair for both Her Campus and CURE GC and love to support other organizations on campus that I have a passion for. I hope one day to go on a mission trip before my "big girl life" starts and then either do Public Relations for an amazing company close to my heart, like Her Campus or CURE, or open a clothing store of my own and donate a cut of the profits to different charitites each month. However for now, I'm going to take it day-by-day and enjoy what's left of my college career! XO, Katelyn.