Style > Beauty

The Five Beauty Products I Can’t Live Without (And Why!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

The 5 Beauty Products I Can’t Live Without (And Why)

As a college student, I generally have more important things to do than spend an hour in front of the mirror primping and preparing myself. These items make my life easier and most of them cut quite a bit of time from my morning routine.

1. Organix Ever Straight Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner

My hair is naturally wavy, coarse, and dull. It also has a tendency to get oily far too quickly. Unfortunately the tried and true products I had been using were recently discontinued, but I stumbled upon this line soon after. What’s great about it is that when I choose to straighten my hair, these products make it much easier, but if I want to sleep in for a little longer, my hair is still soft and shiny without looking greasy. I can’t praise this stuff enough!

2. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap

I typically have about four varieties of this stuff around my apartment. When they say “magic,” they aren’t kidding. For those of us with sensitive skin, their products are truly miracle workers. Instead of using artificial perfumes, they use organic essential oils for fragrance. They also won’t dry out your skin because of their natural vitamin E. When I shower at night, I use the soothing lavender scented bar, but the peppermint variety invigorates me first thing in the morning. The rose liquid soap makes a great bubble bath for nights when a soak is mandatory, and when my skin is feeling eczema-prone, I use the baby mild liquid. The best part? They’re totally obtainable on a college budget!

3. Clinique Three-Step Skin Care System

The best part about this stuff is that it’s completely customizable to your individual skincare needs. Its basic parts are cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. You have the choice of liquid or bar cleanser, varying degrees of toner intensity, and either a traditional or gel moisturizer. For everyday use I have liquid cleanser, Clarifying Lotion 2, and the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, but I adjust it according to the seasons. It’s a little on the pricey side, but one set of the system should last you several months.

4. Simple Revitalizing Eye RollOn

Up all night studying, but don’t want to look like an extra on The Walking Dead on your way to your test? This product will definitely help you there! As on Amazon reviewer says “I apply this every morning and I immediately look more alive. I don’t even want to know how I looked before this product.” Plus, Simple uses only natural ingredients, so the sensitive skin under your eyes won’t be irritated by harsh chemicals.

5. Benefit They’re Real! Mascara

Just about every beauty blogger on the planet will sing the praises of this mascara. When I’m in a rush, I’ll swipe a coat of this stuff on to completely transform my lashes and instantly make myself look more awake. It also combines well with other mascaras, which is how I use it in my full makeup routine. After curling my eyelashes, I use a volumizing mascara, then apply Benefit over that. Altogether it takes about thirty seconds, and people have actually asked me if I’m wearing false lashes before.

Tess is a senior English major at Georgia College, with a concentration in literature and a minor in French. She loves Bruce Springsteen, watching TV, matching pajama sets, baking, cuddling with her dog, and oxford commas. Her life goal is to marry Ben Wyatt and have the hair of a Victoria's Secret model. You can follow her on Twitter at @likeomgtess.