Embracing Going With the Flow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

There are two type of people in the world, those who plan every situation out, and those who simply live in the moment. Of course there are pros and cons to both ideologies, but somethmes you can’t plan out everything you are going to do. There is a lack of spontaneity when you plan things out, but there is arguably a lack of responsibility when you go with the flow and are carefree. I for one like to have things planned out, but when you just let things happen, you end up with a way better story to tell, whether it be good or bad. With that being said, here are four reasons why you should embrace going with the flow.

You can’t control people.

Humans are probably the most unpredictable beings to ever grace the planet Earth, and there is no way that you can account for them. Almost everyone has that one friend that throws a wrench into your plans just for the heck of it.

There is less hassle.

Unless you seriously enjoy planning out everything you do, by all means continue to do that. Organizing and contacting whoever just takes so much more time. While you were doing all of that, you could have been having fun already.

The story to tell could be more interesting.

Of course however you plan something, you will still have a story to tell other people, but there may not be any pizazz to it. One versions could be you went to dinner, which was planned. Another could be while you were headed to dinner you past by a food truck and decided to eat there and while you were eating your food you witness a flash mob proposal. Yes, that may sound extremely outlandish, but it could happen if you didn’t plan.

Nothing is ever going to go as planned.

As much as you would like the think, you can’t plan for the unknown. It’s unknown for a reason. There are people who are prepared for every situation, but most of the situations are common ones that could potentially happen to anyone. You can only plan for what you know, and if you have never met a certain situation before, the tables have just been flipped on you. Essentially, you are always going with the flow.

If you happen to be that person that likes to plan, good for you! If you happen to be that person that just lets things happen, you do you! Just remember not to stress so much on making a situation perfect, or what you consider perfect.

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.