7 Video Games with a Female Lead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

Many people seem to be under the impression that video games are not for females. Well, those people are dead wrong because all genders enjoy playing video games. Something that could be hindering females from playing video games is that they are not represented in the media as well. If that is not a big concern of yours, maybe it should be, because we are in a generation that is promoting equality. If you are a female that isn’t that big of video game player, maybe these seven games with a female lead will help introduce you to the activity. If you are curious about a trailer, click on the game’s name. 

Life is Strange

Synopsis: Follow the story of Max Caulfield, a photography senior who discovers she can rewind time while saving her best friend Chloe Price. The pair soon find themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of fellow student Rachel Amber, uncovering a dark side to life in Arcadia Bay. Meanwhile, Max must quickly learn that changing the past can sometimes lead to a devastating future. Source: lifeisstrange.com

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Synopsis: Life is Strange: Before the Storm features Chloe Price a 16 year-old rebel who forms an unlikely friendship with Rachel Amber, a beautiful and popular girl destined for success. When Rachel’s world is turned upside down by a family secret it takes their new found alliance to give each other the strength to overcome their demons. Source: lifeisstrnage.com

Broken Age

Synopsis: Broken Age is a timeless coming-of-age story of barfing trees and talking spoons. Vella Tartine and Shay Volta are two teenagers in strangely similar situations, but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between the characters and their individual stories, helping them take control of their own lives, and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow. As the game begins, Vella is chosen by her village to have the honor of being sacrificed to the terrible monster Mog-Chothra, but having no interest in being devoured by a horrible beast, she decides to go against ages old tradition and escape. Meanwhile somewhere in space, Shay is living a solitary life under the care of a very motherly computer, and while his every need is taken care of in every way imaginable, he wishes for nothing more than to break free from the monotony and have some real adventures. Source: brokenagegame.com

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

Synopsis: Mirror’s Edge is set in a quasi-futuristic dystopian society, in which a network of ‘runners’, including the main character, Faith Connors, act as couriers to transmit messages while evading government surveillance. In the style of a three-dimensional platform game, the player guides Faith over rooftops, across walls, through ventilation shafts, and otherwise within urban environments, negotiating obstacles using movements inspired by parkour. Source: Wikipedia

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Synopsis: Rise of the Tomb Raider is a third-person action-adventure game that features similar gameplay found in 2013’s Tomb Raider. Players control Lara Croft through various environments, battling enemies, and completing puzzle platforming sections, while using improvised weapons and gadgets in order to progress through the story.

Source: Wikipedia

Horizon Zero Dawn

Synopsis: In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin. Source: playstation.com

Beyond Eyes

Synopsis: Beyond eyes shows you the imaginative world of Rae, a 10 year-old girl, as she ventures outside her familiar surroundings in search of a fat cat named Nani. Rae isn’t like most other girls. She lost her eyesight in an accident with fireworks when she was just a toddler and the experience left her traumatized. Fearing loud noises and public places, she hardly ever leaves her house, preferring to spend her free time in her special garden where everything smells pleasant and all is nice. Some people might feel sorry for Rae, being as isolated as she is, but Rae herself is perfectly content with her life especially after befriending a gorgeous full-figured stray feline she names Nani. When Nani goes missing Rae finally gains the courage to go outside for the first time on a wonderful and life changing journey to find her missing friend. The world outside is frightening and unfamiliar but, with the guidance of the player, Rae learns to overcome her fears and finds beauty and possible new friends outside of her golden cage. Source: beyongeyes-game.com

Mariah is a senior psychology major, who has aspirations to work in the library science field. She enjoys listening to music and making playlists, playing board games, and crafting. She enjoys writing for Her Campus because it gives her the chance to share unconventional articles that would otherwise not be published, while at the same time promoting female empowerment.