jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Fun Things to Do in Milledgeville!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

I was recently told that my college town “breeds alcoholism” because there’s nothing fun to do. And it made my heart hurt. There are tons of fun things to do around Milledgeville if you’re willing to look!

So, here’s a quick list of fun, cheap things you can do with your friends in your quaint college town!

1.       Baldwin Bowl Milledgeville

It’s super cheap and bowling is great. They even have a Sunday special where you can bowl for just two dollars! What? My Blackbird coffee costs more than that!

Where:   

184 Roberson Mill Rd, Milledgeville, GA

Hours: 

Mon: 12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Tue: 9:00 am – 10:00 pm

Wed: 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm

Thu: 12:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Fri: 3:00 pm – 12:00 am

Sat: 11:00 am – 12:00 am

Sun: 1:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Pricing:

Shoe rental is $1.50

Through the week (before 6pm) it’s $3.75 a game

Through the week (after 6pm) it’s $4.25 a game

Then, on Fridays and Saturdays (after 6pm) it’s $5 a game

2.       Lockerly Arboretum

This 50 acre walking trail/garden is a perfect place to picnic and clear your mind. And you don’t have to pay to visit the gardens! WOOT! I love free things.

Where:  

Hwy 441 South 1534 Irwinton Road, Milledgeville, GA 31061

Hours:

Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Sat : 9:00 am – 1:00 pm

Pricing:

Walking trail/gardens – free!!

Rose Hill Tour- $3.00

3.     Fun Factory

Maybe this list is just revealing I’m a child at heart, but seriously?  Who doesn’t love roller skating? In addition, the factory o’ fun offers a jungle gym, an arcade, and a bounce house. And don’t be fooled, I will knock some kids out of the way to get in that bounce house.

Where:

1850 N Columbia St, Milledgeville, GA 31061

Hours:

Tue-Thu: 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm

Fri: 12:00 pm – 10:30 pm

Sat: 11:00 am – 10:30 pm

Sun: 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm

Pricing:

Entry fee: $6

Skate Rental: $2

4.       Old Governor’s mansion

Once upon a time, I would have never suggested that anyone should learn the history of our town, especially on a weekend, but I’ve since seen the error of my ways. I had a friend visiting from out of state and she was gung –ho that we take a tour of the mansion – something I’d never done in my three years at this college. The tour was informative, concise, and best of all, free. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience and honestly couldn’t figure out why I’d never toured the mansion before. It’s definitely worth your time and I encourage everyone to do it at least once before they graduate.

Where:

120 South Clarke St. Milledgeville, GA

Hours:

Tue-Sat: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Sun: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Pricing:

Tours are free!

5.     Antiquing

Okay, confession time. I’m obsessed with antiquing. Don’t ask me why – it’s not like I’m any good at it or need any more things cluttering up my tiny apartment – but I love it. It’s such a cathartic way to spend a Saturday afternoon. It feels like you’re on this treasure hunt in the past. For example, a couple weekends back I purchased a key ring loaded with old keys. I converted a couple into necklaces (think Zoey 101, but cooler) and am just hoarding the rest. I’ve convinced myself that they’re keys to a lost life and I create stories trying to imagine what they might unlock. Everything in an antique store can be thought of like that. It all has a history we don’t know. And it’s a whole lot of fun to search for treasures of a time forgotten.

Auntie Bellum’s Attic:

111 N Wayne St, Milledgeville, GA 31061

Mon –Sat: 10 – 6

Old Capital Treasures:

110 S Wayne St, Milledgeville, GA 31061

Mon – Sat: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm

Sun: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm

Hopefully, you can use some of these ideas and have a great time in the town we all love! 

Lindsey Poe is a Senior English Literature major, Spanish minor here at Georgia College. She loves coffee, Pinterest, peach rings, House M.D., and late night easy mac. In her free time she enjoys taking naps, reading, crafting, and stalking adoptable dogs online. You can follow her on Instagram @linzpoe.