Students for America’s Military Red, White, and Boo Bake-off

Who: FSU’s Students for America’s Military

What: Red, White, and Boo Bake-off

When: Sunday October 27th, 1pm – 4pm

Where: The Osceola Leasing Center on Chapel (behind Chick-fil-A)

Why: To raise money for care packages that are sent to our military overseas

Do you love to bake? Are you a trophy wife in training who loves creating delicious desserts? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then Students for America’s Military (S.A.M.) wants YOU! This incredible organization is striving to send care packages to our deployed servicemen and women overseas, and they are having a fall-themed bake-off on October 27th to raise money. All proceeds of the event will go towards these care packages! 

The Red White and Boo Bake-off is a baking competition where you can show off your baking skills or pig-out on the delicious desserts. For $25, a team of up to five people can enter the competition. From 1-4 pm on bake-off day, anyone can be a taste-tester for just $3! All baked goods must be Halloween/Fall OR American-themed to enter. The latest day to enter a team is October 23rd, so do not hesitate to sign up!

Taste-testers and judges will choose the winner, who will be rewarded with a large prize package. Many other local stores are donating prizes, too, such as VS PINK FSU, Way Out West, Gidgets Clothing Boutique, WM Lamb and Son, and Bella Blu Boutique.

So get your game face on and get ready to bake the best mini cupcakes ever! If you get four friends to join you, it is only $5 a person to enter into the competition for a chance to win some of these amazing prizes. More importantly, though, you’ll be helping an amazing cause!

If you’re looking to give back to our country but are running low on cash and time, $3 and only three hours of your time will go a long way. And if that doesn’t sound good enough for you, you’ll get to eat yummy desserts and have a grand ole time! 

To sign up for a team, you must email a brief entry form to a S.A.M. officer by October 23rd at SMofFSU@gmail.com. Want more info? Check out their Facebook event page or email the lovely Regina Loureiro at rml11c@my.fsu.edu.

Getting Started

Congratulations! You’ve entered an awesome competition for a great cause. After you’ve read the rules and regulations on the team entry application, it’s time to go shopping.

Although Publix doesn’t have any BOGOs on cake mixes or sugar this week, here are a few other bargains to keep in mind when you’re doing your shopping at Club Pub for those award-winning cookies. The following steals last through October 23rd:

Publix Sweet Cream Butter: 2 FOR $6.00

Skippy Peanut Butter: BUY 1 GET 1 FREE

Hershey’s Assorted Chocolates: BUY 1 GET 1 FREE

M&M’s Candies: BUY 2 GET 1 FREE

Target also has sales on other supplies you could possibly use, including:

13- or 15-oz. Simply Balanced granola: 2 FOR $6.00

15-oz. can of Libby’s Pure Pumpkin: $1.59 each

3-lb. bag fresh Honeycrisp apples: $4.99/bag

For cookie sheets, serving platters, parchment paper, aluminum foil, and other kitchen supplies, hit up Dollar Tree on West Tennessee Street. You definitely can never go wrong with the Dollar Tree!  

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!